Mature Male T. albopilosum molting

AngryPescado

Arachnopeon
So mostly a documentation of the whole experience. My Tliltocatl albopilosum mature male molted two days ago. Kind of an interesting experience let alone a sad one. I did reading on the forum about this and I know it doesn't looks good for him. He molted pretty well except his pedipalps which I kinda expected. I tried to help remove the stuck molt but that proved to be to difficult so I just removed the molt that was already off of him. Currently he is very unresponsive but still moves slightly and is still hardening. He also drags the pedipalps which I can assume is due to the stuck molt.

I don't know I kind of wanted to document my experience with this. Interested to see what experience other's had with this.

Picture of him currently... All I can do is put him a simple ICU like setup. 20200603_233724.jpg

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Though not unheard of completely, for him to even survive the moulting process is astounding. Males have higher metabolisms than females and sometimes expending energy in ways they can't make up for (moulting) leads them to their deaths. I wouldn't put my tarantula in an ICU where wet paper towel can cover their book lungs. Instead put him near a couple of clean water dishes. But I just want to say, this is a tarantula in its very very last stage of life and there is nothing you can do to change Nature's Way.

I'm sorry, but if he isn't quite responsive, I'd say he's not long for this world. And don't beat yourself up about it either. You tried everything you could to get him to make it this far, that's more than a fair share of others would go through for their tarantulas.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
ICU’s are old school and the practice has been pretty much abandoned as they do much more harm than good. Not much you can do anyway.

Sorry for the loss though.

AngryPescado

Arachnopeon
Though not unheard of completely, for him to even survive the moulting process is astounding. Males have higher metabolisms than females and sometimes expending energy in ways they can't make up for (moulting) leads them to their deaths. I wouldn't put my tarantula in an ICU where wet paper towel can cover their book lungs. Instead put him near a couple of clean water dishes. But I just want to say, this is a tarantula in its very very last stage of life and there is nothing you can do to change Nature's Way.

I'm sorry, but if he isn't quite responsive, I'd say he's not long for this world. And don't beat yourself up about it either. You tried everything you could to get him to make it this far, that's more than a fair share of others would go through for their tarantulas.
This was the first I encountered it and honestly quite an interesting experience. Thanks for the information and I'm not to beaten up by it to be honest because he had matured for some time. I will fix the setup to do what I can.

AngryPescado

Arachnopeon
ICU’s are old school and the practice has been pretty much abandoned as they do much more harm than good. Not much you can do anyway.

Sorry for the loss though.
Thanks for the information. I've only had one bad molt before this otherwise I've been lucky with not encountering problems. I definitely note this down.
I've known it was a male for a while so I was prepared with losing earlier than wanted but this was definitely a interesting experience.

Again thanks for the advice and condolences.