Mature Male GBB not yet eating

akastudio823

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a GBB and its ultimate molt was on 4-19-22, and after waiting weeks to finally feed it after the molt, it keeps on refusing the meals(after the Ultimate molt, I tried feeding it with prekilled worms to avoid the worms digging in the Substrate because I know he will slowly less aggressive in food since he's getting older)

May I ask these 3 questions since I am really worried because his abdomen is so small?
- is it normal for mature males not to eat before they die?
- is he gonna be okay not eating for months?
- do you think how many months can he still be alive?

Attachments

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mature males eat sporadically. Try crickets instead of worms. Make sure fresh water is available at all times.
Abdomen is always small.
Mine lived about 20 months.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Mature males aren't generally interested in food. I've never managed to feed my N.chromatus after he matured for example.

-So yes, it is normal for MM's not to eat.
-He should be fine, keep his water dish filled at all times since they run around and about the enclosure, wasting a lot of energy and they need more water to regenerate
-A few months up to two years at max. Depends on how much he exhausts himself

My T.albopilosus matured in december of 2020, so he's pushing more than a year, and still eats every month or two. So it can very from specimen to specimen

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes
Yes
No one knows

If you searched the internet you’d find the answer to those questions easily

google is your friend :rolleyes: :rofl:

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Yes
Yes
No one knows

If you searched the internet you’d find the answer to those questions easily

google is your friend :rolleyes: :rofl:
LoL, you should type those questions into google.... you'd be surprised the first site that pops up..

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes it’s normal for them to not eat much after maturing. They are past the point in the life cycle of needing to eat to make it to maturity. He now just wants to breed and may roam around the enclosure searching for a mate. No one but you will be able to tell you exactly how long it will live

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
It seems to me that it varies by species weather the mature males will eat or not, and the lifespan after the ultimate molt also varies. My mature male Psalmopoeus cambridgei lived about 6 months after his ultimate molt and never ate again. My MM Chilobrachys fimbriatus, on the other hand, is still going strong almost a year later and eats pretty frequently.

Don’t be alarmed if they don’t eat at all or eat very rarely. And do some research into the species to see how long the males usually last. Post him up in the classifieds and get him to a breeder!