Mature Female ???

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was wondering : Male T's have a definitive change once they reach sexual maturity... How do I know when my female GBB is mature ? Is it just size ? When can I feed.. I mean breed her :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is a lot in that answer.... here are a few points............

Size does play a factor. Breeders are finding out Ts will breed at 4" with small sacs. Matings with smaller females can be dangerous males might try to eat the female. Rare but not what you really want.

Size actually is the only thing I think is a factor. Once you are past 4.5" your good to go the rest is a timing game. She needs to be fresh from a molt, within 3-4 months is ideal but past that its still worth a try.

Hope that helps a little.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure that the only definitive change is that she can produce a viable sac....
Never bred this sp. so hopefully someone else will chime in with some sizes for you.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello!

Just to add. As far as i experienced 2 years old female is a mature. Maybe some earlier - the wearing an adult coloration is a sign too.
The size in the case of the fully developed spermathecae available - doesn't matter.
Hope this helps. And good luck with breeding her!

Ryan

Matings with smaller females can be dangerous males might try to eat the female.
Not the chance with the Chromatopelma indeed ;)

She needs to be fresh from a molt, within 3-4 months is ideal but past
Not a rule...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello!

Just to add. As far as i experienced 2 years old female is a mature. Maybe some earlier - the wearing an adult coloration is a sign too.
The size in the case of the fully developed spermathecae available - doesn't matter.
Hope this helps. And good luck with breeding her!

Ryan

Not the chance with the Chromatopelma indeed ;)

Not a rule...
Yes very much so a rule. You can try past that which I stated because it never hurts to try, but females seem to be the most receptive to a male in those first few months. Id say of all the sacs I have ever had 90-95% came from females bred no later then the 5th month after a molt.