Mature female, how to tell?

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just curious, my A. seemani (BCF) has been confirmed female. :D

How do you tell when it's mature? or know it's capable of mating?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well they normally are bigger or at least the same size as the males when you decide to mate, so the smallest maybe to try is around 4.5" leg span. 5"+ is a bit safer.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the response.

It may be mature as it is about 4 1/2" or maybe closer to 5". This is such a shy girl.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Find her a date and see how they respond to eachother. Make sure she is well fed first before you introduce them.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say for A.seemanni 5", since this species averages 5.5"

If it's 4.5" right now, it wouldn't hurt to try, but I would wait for one more molt.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say for A.seemanni 5", since this species averages 5.5"

If it's 4.5" right now, it wouldn't hurt to try, but I would wait for one more molt.
Why wait he said it was closer to 5".
I have only tried these guys once and it resulted in nadda. My female was beyond agressive toward the male. I tried over and over to pair them but she was a big meany. I passed the male on and he bred right away with the recieving parties female. That's the way it goes sometimes. :}

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why wait he said it was closer to 5".
I have only tried these guys once and it resulted in nadda. My female was beyond agressive toward the male. I tried over and over to pair them but she was a big meany. I passed the male on and he bred right away with the recieving parties female. That's the way it goes sometimes. :}
Oh must have missed that post.:eek:

Yeah since it's closer to 5" just get a male now if you wanna breed them.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i suspect tarantula females mature considerably sooner than seems the sort of consensus in the hobby. i wouldn't be surprised if seemani are good to go at 4".

also, if you do try to breed these be prepared for microdrumming. the first two species i bred, G. rosea and P. regalis to macrodrumming... you can hear it across the freakin room... but seemani (and my C. fasciatum) did microdrumming. you can barely see it, with NO way an unaided human could hear it. microdrumming is crazy cuz i wasn't sure if the females were actually receptive or not, cuz i was expecting a big drum show. heh.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i suspect tarantula females mature considerably sooner than seems the sort of consensus in the hobby. i wouldn't be surprised if seemani are good to go at 4".
Oh I agree 100%, but you have to pay attention a little bit more when mating a smaller female and be more ready to defend both the male and the females lives. If someone is just starting out with breeding I don't recommend breeding with a T that small. It can be done though. Clutches are smaller but seem to be on a whole more viable and I have no idea why that is.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I agree that females can breed at smaller sizes we are unaware of or just don't pay attention too, but it seems like this is Ottawas first time breeding so why not wait till it's a "known" breeding size. Less stress for him and the T. To be on the safe side? You know what I mean.

Anime-Aimee

Arachnopeon
hysterocrates gigas

i only got my cameroon red baboon a few weeks ago. i kno alot of people on here moan about beginners like me owning these types of spider, but i'm taking good care of it so not to worry.
just wondered if anyone knows how i can tell if it's male or female? it's growing pretty fast, but yeh. thanks if anyone can help me...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i only got my cameroon red baboon a few weeks ago. i kno alot of people on here moan about beginners like me owning these types of spider, but i'm taking good care of it so not to worry.
just wondered if anyone knows how i can tell if it's male or female? it's growing pretty fast, but yeh. thanks if anyone can help me...
Actaully I say that anyone, new or old in the hobby, can own any T they want. Their responsibility, their money, their loss if anything happens.

Anyways to the point, well you'd have to pull out one of it's skin sheds right after a molt. How big is btw?

If you have a good camera you can try taking ventral pics.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I agree that females can breed at smaller sizes we are unaware of or just don't pay attention too, but it seems like this is Ottawas first time breeding so why not wait till it's a "known" breeding size. Less stress for him and the T. To be on the safe side? You know what I mean.
I have no intention of breeding her myself, I would like to watch though.

I just read my that my "T" supplier had a male which hooked out, and was thinking maybe she could use some lovin', while supplying new bloodlines for thier A. seemani stock.

electra

Arachnopeon
I'm going to ask this because I've made an assumption, which has got me into trouble in the past, so I'll ask: When you say the T is 5 inches, is this toe to toe, head to toe, or head to tail? My assumption is toe to toe, but I'd like to be sure. Thanks.

versiphil

Arachnopeon
Hi,

just take care that your female is as big or bigger than the male.
Feed your female as it looks like it will burst every moment.
The last moult should be not so far in the past, because if your female will moult before building an eggsack you can start a next try.
You don`t have to care about your female, but for the male...(she likes it hard, hehe)
When she has an eggsack, be careful about humidity, nearly dry. If not, she will eat it or she will waste it.
And don`t disturb her! If you do, you will risk that she will eat the eggsack.

Why you won`t try it by yourself? That`s no big deal. You can earn money for your hobby...

good luck

Sascha

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
First, I measure from front tip front leg, to opposite rear leg tip.

Second, Montreal is a short drive away from Tarantula Canada, and I am more than positive they are very qualified with mating "T's". If they require new bloodlines for thier A. seemani stock, (not sure) she is thiers for mating if required, all I ask, is she be returned afterwards, and perhaps if I can watch.

Third, I am very content with my current collection as it is. As much as I enjoy raising slings, I have no time to care for an egg sack, and all the effort required separating slings, feeding slings.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going to ask this because I've made an assumption, which has got me into trouble in the past, so I'll ask: When you say the T is 5 inches, is this toe to toe, head to toe, or head to tail? My assumption is toe to toe, but I'd like to be sure. Thanks.
is LEGSPAN (leg to leg) :D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
is LEGSPAN (leg to leg) :D
Do most breeders and collectors in the US do tip of front leg to opposite back leg tip. Or do you guys do the way he just showed above same side front to same side back? Just curious.