Mating seasons & hibernation

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Well I finally managed to sex an adult pair of S. heros "castaneiceps" only to find the male barely twitching this morning. Last week, he was his usually gregarious self, exploring every angle of his home and taking to prey vigorously. This morning, he was rail thin, antennae looking thin & slightly discolored & the usual pre-death symptoms. I admittedly didn't put much thought or interest in hibernating these, as the topic was barely breached and no details were provided(that I can remember). So...

What species and how do you go about hibernating your creatures and why do you feel it necessary? Details, please.

While were at it and because it's a related subject: in what seasons do you pair up your 'pedes, how do you prepare them, temperature/humidity changes, feeding, etc. & why?

Let's keep this thread clean for future 'pedeheads, shall we...please stick to the details;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a male that kept coming out for a long time compared to the females I have. I think I have about 7 adults heros, three males, traded away most of them, all buried back in October(?), don't really remember but it's been a few months. I cool them down only because that's how it goes here in Texas where I find them. I keep them in the mid to upper 60s from somewhere in Oct to Feb. I do that by heating the room they are in with a small space heater. I don't allow the sub to completely dry out, they stay under for about 5 months, give or take a month. They stay in sub about 5 inches deep in terrs with flat rocks. I've seen them mate as soon as it warms up, maybe May through Sept if it's still hitting the 80s or so.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I was hoping you'd see this, Todd;) Thanks for the reply.

For everyone else here in 'pedeland: what, no input? I would love to hear some more observations of centipedes you have bred, things seen in the wild(i.e., egg production), etc., esp. in areas away from the tropics where seasons are more well defined.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have yet to breed any centipedes or have any captive hatch clutches. S. hardwickei will be my first project!

I wish you luck with your future attempts at pairing as well as rearing the young.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wish more girls were into pedes so they might throw the wink smilie at me lol. I forgot to say that I have seen eggs from late May to mid July for Sc. heros. Why don't girls like pedes haha.