Mating H Maculata

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anybody here have experience breeding H maculata? I amsure Bill from Invertepet has. Could you gimme any tips? I have located a mature female for my boy and I want to have success with this. Thanks.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have not had any eggsacs from a maculata pairing, but it happens enough to assume they're not rocket-science level breeders. I suggest having a large enough container for both spiders to have 'space' of their own, and then just let them co-hab for as long as you can get away with before the male becomes dinner.

bill

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. mac breeding...

Hi Jacen, Bill's right, they aren't rocket science. If both spiders are in good condition, and records are kept (molting dates etc.) they are fairly easy. Of course, just when you think something is so easy to breed, it will defy(sp?) you, so a lucky rabbits foot helps alot. I've produced viable sacs 3 times previously, and this pic is of a fourth, as long as my rabbit foot works. I've also got a real plump gal about to web up, so maybe lots of these will be available soon. I always use 10 gal. tanks to breed these in, and so far seems plenty big enough. Hope this helps!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That definitely helps. Thanks a lot Bill and Kelly. One more question, is it really weird seeing these two mate? I cant believe how much smaller than an adult female he is. He was a spiderling when I got him in September and he is already a full grown male. He isnt that big at all but he has palpal bulbs and tibial spurs and he is fully mature and ready to breed.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
That definitely helps. Thanks a lot Bill and Kelly. One more question, is it really weird seeing these two mate? I cant believe how much smaller than an adult female he is. He was a spiderling when I got him in September and he is already a full grown male. He isnt that big at all but he has palpal bulbs and tibial spurs and he is fully mature and ready to breed.
Who did you find to breed him with? You never got back to me about the shipping charge :\

-Bryan

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually found a female from a dealer here in Canada. It would be virtually impossible for me to ship a spider into the USA.