mating a. geniculata - egg sack size, cannibalism etc.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi all,

so i'm getting a mature a. geniculata male for free (well, for a few slings should this work out), as he's already a year past his ultimate molt. the owner however swears that he's still building sperm webs and eating.

as my female molted just 3-4 months ago and is nearly 6" big, i thought i'd give it a try. i have never before thought about mating this species, but now that the chance presents itself in such a way, i can hardly not do it ;).

there doesn't seem to be a report in the breeding report section, so what are your experiences with this sepcies?

1. is the female very agressive towards the male and likely to eat him?

2. is it difficult to get them to mate or do they usually figure it out pretty quickly? (had a regalis male that didn't find out what to do in nearly two weeks) is it better to mate them several times?

3. how long does it approximately/usually take before a sac is made and do they need a cooling period or something to stimulate the laying of eggs?

4. are they prone to eat the sac?

5. how many slings are there on avarage and are they very prone to cannibalism?

6. anything else you think i should know?

thx a lot!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
5. how many slings are there on avarage and are they very prone to cannibalism?
I will just pick one of the many questions asked to answer......

Every sac if left with the mom will have some cannibalism. Till they are strong enough to break out of the sac they tend to eat their brothers and sisters. This can be a good things for those species like yours where large numbers might be a bit overwelming. Pulling sacs early prevents all of this. Good luck at your try. If it works out you will be busy!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i tend to pull sacs around day 30-40, when there will be mostly postembryos or 1st instars. i thought i'd wait for them to come out on their own and decimate their numbers beforehand with this sac because genis seem to produce a lot of offspring... so any idea how many will/could be in there?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
come on guys - my male will arrive today. none here ever bred this species?

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've read that genics average 800-1200 slings per sac. :eek: Don't know how true that is though.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, i read something like that as well. a first-hand report would be nice, though...