mated my D diadema

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I put my old pair of Damon diadema together about a month ago and I noticed she has been getting a little plump and holding her abdomen up off the cork so I have my fingers crossed. The problem is her last batch of eggs never hatched and she hadn't molted since (its been over a year) so the flap of skin that was covering her old batch is still hanging on and I can't get a good look underneath to see if she is carrying or not.

The good news is I put a younger pair together a few days ago and found a spermatophore this morning. I have two more females to pair up and I'm wondering if I should pair them with the younger male (their sibling) or the older male (their father) Maybe I'll try one of each but the father is almost twice their size so I am a little nervous to put them together. The father has been great giving me 4 batches of babies over the last 3 years or so with 2 different females. This will be the first mating for the young ones. I'm guessingthe best thing to do would be to separate them (obviously) and give the male a couple of weeks to build up his "stamina" if you will before introducing him to the next female.

I was wondering if they were old enough but I think I read in Orin's first book that the males usually won't produce the spermatophore if the females are not receptive and and they won't be receptive if they are not ready to mate so I have my fingers crossed.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I wish you the best of luck! If you do get any babies pics would be nice :)

cold blood

Staff member
Best of luck! The ones I got from you last year are simply fascinating, and incredible eaters.

I have a quick question...I'm re-housing them soon and was curious if rock was appropriate. I have a really nice, flat(ish) rock I was going to use, but before I set it up, I wanted a little confirmation that it was ok.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Best of luck! The ones I got from you last year are simply fascinating, and incredible eaters.

I have a quick question...I'm re-housing them soon and was curious if rock was appropriate. I have a really nice, flat(ish) rock I was going to use, but before I set it up, I wanted a little confirmation that it was ok.
I don't see why not. I probably wouldn't have ever considered it mainly because of the weight but if I had a nice looking one I'd use it. Just be careful so it can't fall but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Thought maybe I'd see you at SEWERFest on Sunday but there wasn't much there for spiders.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't see why not. I probably wouldn't have ever considered it mainly because of the weight but if I had a nice looking one I'd use it. Just be careful so it can't fall but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Thought maybe I'd see you at SEWERFest on Sunday but there wasn't much there for spiders.
Thanks. Yeah, its stable...I will have to make sure there's adequate room once its set up.

I was thinking about going, but knowing that there isn't usually much for spiders, I walked the dog and watched football instead.:)

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks. Yeah, its stable...I will have to make sure there's adequate room once its set up.

I was thinking about going, but knowing that there isn't usually much for spiders, I walked the dog and watched football instead.:)

If you watched the Packer game I'll bet you wish you had gone to the show, unless you are a Bears fan, which in that case the same applies. I'm glad I didn't ship the show to see that.