Mass cricket death

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I bought 50 small crickets at Petco and they were totally fine yesterday. Today I look in my cricket container and they're all dead. What could be the problem?

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Most likely desiccation. I know the large pet store chains around me don't seem to have healthy crickets and I loose atleast half by the end of the week, since switched to roaches

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
@Ratmosphere

Most likely the fact you got them from Petco!
In my experience, anything bought from a large chain petstore doesn't last long.
Whether it be a fish, cricket, or whatever.
Normally things from large chain petstores such as petco just aren't kept in the best of conditions and often are genetically just awful.

Large chain pet stores are about quantity over quality.
Better to just buy from a reputable source online and avoid large chain pet stores as much as you can.
You'll save more money that way in the long run of it.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I would if there were other options around me! I think next time I will just order some from the Flukes website.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Probably because PetCo continues to be lame and uncaring except for making profit.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I would if there were other options around me! I think next time I will just order some from the Flukes website.
What inverts or reptiles are you feeding? Roaches are a great alternative food and it's very easy to start your own colony (from my understanding, they are better for your critter as well)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Shouldn't jump to conclusions. 100% die off doesn't happen without some critical factor involved. Even perfect storm scenarios leave a few survivors. Sleuthing time.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Ratmosphere I agree with @The Snark

You should examine the area around to make sure that nothing could have affected them. Check for any kind of chemical or cleaner spills or exposures. Check for any strange drafts. Even check whatever food you are feeding them. I often wonder about pesticides in fruits and vegetables.
I feed my crickets fish food. They love it and I do not have to worry about pesticides. Plus it is a dry food so it is easy to have and store (since I also have fish). No worrying about rotting leftovers causing a mold/bacteria/etc. problem.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I bought 50 small crickets at Petco and they were totally fine yesterday. Today I look in my cricket container and they're all dead. What could be the problem?
Petco. And nothing else. They are a sort of bizarre Re Mida (King Midas) just that, instead of gold, everything they "touch" turns poop :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I buy crickets online directly from other arachnid/inverts/etc animals breeder/keepers. Cheap prices, great variety, and voilà... straight in a courier-parcel. Including micro ones. And zero issue, not even in Winter time (crickets aren't hardy like B.dubia, on this issue).

Everyday I realize that, even if Italy is a disgraced nation on the verge of the 'point of break', well, at least we doesn't have those corporate animal marauders folks like Petco. I wouldn't buy from those not even toilet paper :)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
100% of the crickets didn't die, just the ones from Petco died. I doubt it's from any chemicals!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Buy your crickets and feeder insects online is my advice. So many good reputable dealers. I'm a fan of Rainbow Mealworms personally.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
For keeping large numbers of critters, maintaining a cricket colony/breeding tank is the way to go in my opinion.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Petco. And nothing else. They are a sort of bizarre Re Mida (King Midas) just that, instead of gold, everything they "touch" turns poop :-s
So how did Petco manage to keep them alive at the store? He must have altered their environment in some way. Crickets are very susceptible to disease if their enclosure isn't kept clean. You've got to remove dead ones and leftover food and water on a daily basis. Too much humidity is another cricket killer.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
You have no idea. I wipe my enclosure clean every day. It's kept immaculate and has no smell at all at any time. I literally service the tank daily.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
You have no idea. I wipe my enclosure clean every day. It's kept immaculate and has no smell at all at any time. I literally service the tank daily.
Then I'm at a loss. In my experience pet stores still sell Acheta domesticus, in spite of the fact that its very cricket virus susceptible.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
They most likely change out dead crickets everyday so it just looks like they're able to keep them alive.
Also that's not how witchcraft works lol.