Maple as a food source?

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I come from an area where all vegetation dies off in the winter so I'm searching for winter foods that can be frozen etc.
We don't have many oak trees around here so I'm wondering if anyone has tried things like maple leaves, birch leaves etc? I've got some food sources growing indoors and have been freezing blackberry that has been shipped to me and freezing rose as well. Just trying to keep my options open as I've heard the frozen food doesn't last very long after unthawed.
Thanks in advance!

roberto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I feed maple twigs and leaves to my rhinos. They chow down on the twigs.

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are you asking about general food for any insects or just roaches? A lot of times, leaves from trees are species specific and you cant necessarily always feed one type to a given species.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just asking if there are any sources that the leaves can be purchased from. I have some species that can use oak leaves as a winter food source (the leaves can be frozen) but we don't have much for oak trees around here. Just trying to stock up on winter food as pretty much everything here in the "Great White North" dies in the winter :)

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know there is one guy who posts on petbugs fairly regularly, though I don't know his e-mail off hand. He sells every kind of leaves for leaf eating bugs, from eucalyptus and oak to privet, bramble, and guava. Just check the classifieds on petbugs.com and you'll probably see him. He also advertises fruit fly cultures, bristletails, and springtails as food so you may see him posting that. If I can think of his e-mail/url I'll give it to ya.

8Pat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!
I know of some leaf-eating insects that will eat lettuce, or potato skin as a winter/replacement food. I also tried some of my indoor plants and discovered that leaves of Birds of paradise (Strelitzia sp.) are readily taken by some species.
Hope that helps.
8Pat