Mantis Range Survey

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am trying to get reasonable ranges of some mantid species at the state level on maps to include on info sheets that go with live exhibits for the annual BugFest here at the Natural Science Museum this September in Raleigh. This does not have to be perfect.

I am going to assume the Chinese is in every state (may not be true, but they are very wide spread).

I am trying an online survey and having y'all fill in states where you have found the species listed below. For example, if you have found the Carolina mantis in Indiana, you would reply and tack on "IN" to that species. If you also know through someone else who has found a certain species in a state, go ahead and use that info. Also, if you know through some scholarly source that a species is in a certain state, that works. However, don't mark down a state for a species just because you're pretty sure it is there without having one of the above methods of determining this.

Note the Carolina mantis has some close relatives, so be careful with that.

Thanks for your help.

Thesprotia graminis (Grass Mantis)
Brunner's Mantis
European
TX Unicorn
Carolina

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
European & Chinese - New Hampshire: Even though I have seen any wild mantids in a few years. But I don't get out so much anymore.

Tom

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is the most up to date info I could find for common (and some uncommon) mantis genera and species in the United States. I compiled this information from localities of internet specimens.

Tenodera: MA NY PA NJ DE VA WV TN KY NC GA OH IN IA MN WI

Carolina Mantis: FL GA SC NC VA MD ID OH IN MS AR KS

California Mantis: CA

Thesprotia (Grass like mantis): TX FL GA

Gonatista (Grizzled Mantis): FL GA

Mantis religiosa (European Mantis): CA OK MT UT CO MA NY KY OH IN IL

Brunneria (Brunner’s Mantis): KY FL NC SC

Litaneutria : CA AZ NM

Oligonicella: FL

Phyllovates (Mexican Unicorn Mantis): TX

Pseduovates (AZ Unicorn Mantis): AZ

Iris (Mediterranean Mantis): CA

Mantoida maya (Little Yucatan Mantis): FL

Cheers,
Eric

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
European- south east Wyoming

The last two years they were all over the place, this year I haven't seen any.