Mantis problem

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
Hi, I caught a wild mantis last month before my dogs could eat it, I have been feeding it mealworms every week, and it seems happy. I caught this in it's enclosure earlier today.... what is it? eggs? a molt?

Attachments

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
ootheca (eggsac)as to how to hatch em i have no idea @mr ghostmantis and few others will know.

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
@MrGhostMantis the ootheca hatched today, so I now have an estimated batch of 80+ baby mantises. what do I need to do to take care of them? can I feed them pre-killed mealworms/dubias? they are the only feeders I have access to sadly. do I need to separate them asap? I already separated the mother.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
@MrGhostMantis the ootheca hatched today, so I now have an estimated batch of 80+ baby mantises. what do I need to do to take care of them? can I feed them pre-killed mealworms/dubias? they are the only feeders I have access to sadly. do I need to separate them asap? I already separated the mother.
They don't eat anything that isn't moving, which means pre-killed won't do. They mainly hunt flying insects that are smaller than them. I would release them if you don't have a fruit fly culture on hand.

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
They don't eat anything that isn't moving, which means pre-killed won't do. They mainly hunt flying insects that are smaller than them. I would release them if you don't have a fruit fly culture on hand.
ok then, what about flying ants? it's raining a lot in my area, and there are swarms of them around the lights, can I use those?

vicareux

ok then, what about flying ants? it's raining a lot in my area, and there are swarms of them around the lights, can I use those?
I'm unsure, the potential problem that might occur would be ants actually defending themselves and injuring the nymphs if they are large enough. Unless they're quite smaller than the mantis nymph, i wouldn't try. I have never tried and have never heard anyone try flying ants, someone might have and will be able to provide some detailed info on this.

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
I'm unsure, the potential problem that might occur would be ants actually defending themselves and injuring the nymphs if they are large enough. Unless they're quite smaller than the mantis nymph, i wouldn't try. I have never tried and have never heard anyone try flying ants, someone might have and will be able to provide some detailed info on this.
ok, I was wrong actually, I looked up the english name, we filipinos call them gamo-gamo, but apparently, they are flying termites, not ants. does it make a difference?

vicareux

ok, I was wrong actually, I looked up the english name, we filipinos call them gamo-gamo, but apparently, they are flying termites, not ants. does it make a difference?
Can't help you there. I know next to nothing about termites, sorry.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
You probably have a couple of days, as they don't tend to eat right after hatching. As soon as they molt for the first time, they will be ravenous.
Praying mantises do eat termites, but I'm not sure if your hatchlings are large enough yet. I hope a better expert like @MrGhostMantis happens by.
How many fruit flies will accumulate on a piece of fruit left out for a few days in your area? Knowing that you have a little time, are you able to buy some pinhead crickets or a fruit fly culture?

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I'm not trying to be harsh, but the time to ask those questions was before the ootheca hatched. Dec 23-Jan 16 was more than enough time for you to read up and make an educated decision about the future of these babies, and then you wouldn't be in a hurried and stressful position right now.

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
I'm not trying to be harsh, but the time to ask those questions was before the ootheca hatched. Dec 23-Jan 16 was more than enough time for you to read up and make an educated decision about the future of these babies, and then you wouldn't be in a hurried and stressful position right now.
you're right, that was a mistake on my part, I learned from it already, which is why i'm now fully prepared for if my T. Albo will make a sac. I don't mind the criticism, it makes me a better keeper. :)

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
You probably have a couple of days, as they don't tend to eat right after hatching. As soon as they molt for the first time, they will be ravenous.
Praying mantises do eat termites, but I'm not sure if your hatchlings are large enough yet. I hope a better expert like @MrGhostMantis happens by.
How many fruit flies will accumulate on a piece of fruit left out for a few days in your area? Knowing that you have a little time, are you able to buy some pinhead crickets or a fruit fly culture?
You can cut up dubias/mealworms and hand feed it to them, I would try the termites or try to catch midges or small flies. Thanks for the ping.

NocturnalSkies

Arachnopeon
I would release them in a suitable area and maybe keep a few and feed them flying insects that are smaller than they are. You could put some sugar or fruit outside and try to collect fruit flies so you don’t have to hand feed them. Hand feeding 100+ baby mantises would be probably the most mind numbing full time job imaginable and they also cannibalize each other readily.

Honestly I have fed small worker ants to L2 mantises and up with no problem but the hatchling are probably too small. The termites should be ok as well but only if they are significantly smaller than the hatchlings. Mantises are pretty adept as avoiding harm and I’ve fed my adults yellow jackets and some of my juveniles actual flying ants(fledging queens) before with no issue. But this is all depending on size, otherwise anything larger, same size, or not smaller enough will very likely kill or harm the mantis.