Mantis - possible abnormal molt?

Darwock

Arachnopeon
Looking for some advice and/or reassurance.

This is my second time keeping a mantis. Both were caught in the wild at a similarly young age.

The first one molted twice before reaching maturity. His penultimate molt showed little green wing buds, which only become long white wings after his final molt.

My current mantis had his second molt last night (unexpectedly, I had not read the signs that it was close).

However at first glance it looked as though he was deformed. His back had a pulpy green mass on it rather than small buds or proper wings/covers. Now that he has moved a little I can see that the 'mass' is actually his wings, as they are white in colour, but they are very short and kind of warped. Also there are no obvious covers (don't know the technical term).

Is it possible that he still has one molt remaining, and his buds have just grown prematurely? He still seems rather small compared to the final size of his predecessor.

Darwock

Arachnopeon
I took a couple of pictures to better show what I'm describing:

As you can see it appears that his wings have started to grow but had a problem when they were drying and ended up shrivelled. There was no air conditioning on last night as I was not in the house, and the weather is very humid at the moment (I live in Japan).

It concerns me because my plan was to release him back to the wild when he reached maturity (don't want him to die in my care).. however if these are in fact his final wings then I don't like his chances out in the big bad world.

edit - they have looked this way for over 12 hours now, so I doubt that they are just still in the process of drying out.