Mantis Lost an Antenna

SaintScythus

Arachnopeon
Hey my Mantis during its last molt almost completely lost an antenna, so will it grow it back or will it be all right? BTW I just looked in its cage and it is almost done molting. Its a Giant Asian in what I would guess to be its 4th molt. Thanks in advance for the help.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it's not an adult yet it will grow back. I had a mantis that lost an arm and did fine without it until her next moult when she grew it back. It was a smaller arm so she looked kind of funny with it. :)

Kriss

Arachnopeon
A lost antenna won't matter to the mantid and as said if its only at the 4th / 5th instar it should grow back completely.

Giant Asians are one of my fav sp. I am currently hatching a couple of ooths from my mated female. She ate her mate during the second mating.

SaintScythus

Arachnopeon
Its been awhile and instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd just post it here. My giant is exactly as I say, big and she's not even done yet. I'd say she's probably 4 inches long and is a much better pet than my centipede as I actually see her. I'll try to get pictures but Mantis are great pets and I intend to keep with them. Her antenna has fully grown back by the way.