Mantids?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
We have lots of mantids (did I say that right?!) in our backyard, and the other day, my daughter ran in the house all excited.
She said there was a big fat one out there....come quick!
I got there, and lo and behold, there was a pregnant? gravid? female, that looked like she was going to burst.
I brought her in and put her on a plant to show everyone else, and promptly forgot to take a photo before releasing her.
Anyone know what species is indiginous to the Pacific Northwest?
They get quite large (about 4") and are sometimes a bright green color. I have no clue how to care for them, or I would have set her up in a container.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think we have any native mantids, though we do have acclimated outsiders from people using them in their gardens and on farms. The most common ones are Chinese mantids (can't remember the Latin) and the common Praying mantids (Mantis religiosa).

I've raised them on moderately damp substrate with a few branches to rest on. Put in big handfuls of sphagnum moss when the babies arrive so they can hide from each other. I misted everyday once the nymphs had hatched. Let them cannibalize for a few days to a week, then separate them out into individual containers. They eat pinheads, fruitflies, and tiny larvae like buffalo worms or flour moth larvae.

Then, when you're tired of feeding the vicious little brood, call me and tell me how much you want for a few of them! =D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oh wow, makes me want to run right out and find her again!
I just let her go on an apple tree, since I didn't know how to care for her LOL!
You can have them for FREE, they are all over the place.
Next time I see one, I'll catch it for you!
They are so cool...I love the way their heads swivel around.
I had no idea they were not native to this area.