Mantids - Size Variation in Species

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From left to right

Hierodula membranacea, Parasphendale agrionina, Chloroharpax modesta
(Asian Giant, African Budwing, Nigerian Flower)
3.5", 2", 1.25"

starmaiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those are cool Pictures! I love praying mantids! I used to like to collect the egg cases and hatch out the babies when I was a kid and living in California. I don't know what species they were. Yours are beautiful. :D

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, Great looking mantis. You lucky they didnt eat eachother! lol {D :D {D

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice! i 'accidentally' got a hymenophus coronatus with about 2-3 cm body size at a show yesterday. god, i love that critter, they look and behave out of this world! i'm definitely going to get more mantida, any tips?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I haven't met a mantid I didn't like :)

So far I really like the P. agrionina (African Budwings). They are hardy, are a nice mottled brown with pinkish eyes and will tackle bigger prey than the much larger Asian Giants.

The Nigerian Flower mantids are also nice. Very quick when they snatch prey. Petite with pinkish eyes.

Budwing female and adult discoid. She ate about 1/2.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That asian giant one whats its full size? I heard that some mantids can get up to six inches.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Asian Giant female is about 3.5". I believe the 6" mantis is one of the twig type, long and skinny.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow, beautiful. i think i'm less of a stick-skinny-type and more of a beautiful-curves-type. uh, concerning mantids of course :p