Mantids found today

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I was outside today and found 2 mantids.

They are still very young and are approx. 3" long.

Very cool little things!

What kind of mantids are here in CT?

Brad Ramsey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmmm.
I would agree....except I can't see the characteristic black spots on the inside of the raptor claws.
They could be chinese or perhaps they have the black spots (upper arm section on the inside)
They really do look like Europeans...I have about a dozen in culture right now...mine came from Maryland.

-Brad

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are you referring to the black-ringed spot near the base of the fore coxa? Excellent point, didn't think of that at the time. Hmm... Then I suggest Tenodera aridifolia sinensis as Brad suggested, Stagmomantis carolina, or Tenodera angustipennis.

Arachnotized

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where abouts in CT are you located?...I am in East Hartford and although my yard is somewhat overgrown, I have only seen one a few years ago but never came across one again since...interesting find indeed!:clap:

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats awesome, I've been trying to find them around my neck of the woods. I've found mantids around here before.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very nice! when i lived in NY on longIsland my backyard was teeming with mantids,i had a huge veggie garden and they were at home there.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I doubt it's a European mantis -- that's the only species I see where I live, and the adults rarely top 3". The spot is on the "armpit" area of the front coxa, by the way, and is an eyespot in European mantids (Mantis religiosa).

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Chris!
Nice find - I had one out here in a ficus tree on my patio that I've been messing with for the last couple of days. It wasn't green like yours - it was more of a brown color and had more of a bowed 'bananna' arch to it's back (how 'bout my fancy terminology!)
Anyway, I would swat a fly, I'd go over and just hand it to her. She hung out for about half the week, but she's gone now.