Mantichora (again)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I broke my promise :8o
i wouldn't buy any new bug with less then 8 legs,
But these are simply tooooo d*mn cool to let go :D
I hope these will stay alive as long as the previous ones i had.

Mantichora spec. (Namibia)

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They look like monster beetles that would come out of caves in horror movies. :)
They are cool looking.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
WOW, I love these giant African tiger beetles.

Someday these will be sold here in the States.

And I second that question, how do you care for these awesome beetles?

And promises are always made to be broken, heh, broke enough of them myself. Well, the more innocent ones.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:drool: ahh man!! ive been wanting those for years,with no luck ofcourse:( well...........maybe someday we will have them in the states,these have got to be the most impressive predatory beetle out there:worship: :clap: enjoy!:D

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I haven't seen Mantichora here in years but we do have Amblycheila (Mantichora) cylindriformis as well as some rarer species from the genus in the states. (A.cylindriformis was originally described as Mantichora cylindriformis)They're not the same but they are impressive and long-lived.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, those look very interesting. It looks like the left and right mandibles are "engineered" a little different than each other. Is it just the angles of the pics? I bet the larvae are impressive as well(?). I see a green, metallic Tiger beetle around here running around bodies of water here in Texas. What sp is this likely to be? I used to know years ago. I moved away from the beetles and never dove deep. Very alert beetles and a little hard to catch compared to most other beetles. There are several species in the US that behave the same way right? How big are those from Namibia?
In the first pic, it looks like they are working out some kind of evil plan.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I WANT I WANT!!:D i can just imagine how they are at feeding time:razz:

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I can take them in medium spring-summer. But the problem is that I´m from Spain and I can´t take animals becous is prohibit. I think I can change them, but I´m not sure.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Those
Amblycheila cylindriformis and Scarites terricol
also look totally awsome :)

I'll try to post a picture of one of the mantichora's on my hand to give you guys an impression of their size,

I just found that my old pix are still up in this tread:
previous Mantichora group

I think i'm stuck now with 3 males,... d*mn:wall:
the one i thought was a female, (cause it had smaller jaws)
i've just seen humping on another male :rolleyes:
they seem to be h*rny as hell but also totally g*y :razz:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those
Amblycheila cylindriformis and Scarites terricol
also look totally awsome :)

I'll try to post a picture of one of the mantichora's on my hand to give you guys an impression of their size,

I just found that my old pix are still up in this tread:
previous Mantichora group

I think i'm stuck now with 3 males,... d*mn:wall:
the one i thought was a female, (cause it had smaller jaws)
i've just seen humping on another male :rolleyes:
they seem to be h*rny as hell but also totally g*y :razz:
{D yeah, beetles can be that way,they'll hump just about anything that moves:clap: :D ,ive kept the ambycheilas they are "mini"manticoras just as awesome! but ofcourse the holy grail is the one and only MANTICORA:drool:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
a bit late :8o ,.. but anyway:

@Steven Gielis,
ik had ze van Grabo op de beurs in Veldhoven

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
HOLY MOLY!!:clap: :drool: :worship: now that's what i'm talking about! man i want these so bad.........someday:D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those things are massive! Very nice Steven! I too think you should make a feeding video.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's just crazy, i just dicovered the Cicindelas and the Manticoras and the more i look, the more i'm fascinated with them and OH, big surprise, you already have them :p. Naughty Steven, are there any other amazing species that i dont know of that you could make me discover before i spend all my time looking them up on the internet :p.

phil.