Manduca sexta culture

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I have started a M. sexta hornworm/moth culture and have been doing well with it so far and have even made my own caterpillar chow that they are gobbling up.

Anyone else into moth or butterfly cultures?

I would love to know where I can get my hands on Attacus species or other bigger and prettier moths/butterflies. Any tips?

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
I've only raised the painted lady butterflies that you can get on amazon. I'm very interested though. I've tried to find a source for more species, butg to no avail. In the spring my wife and I are going to begin the process of turning our front yard into a butterfly garden. I've only been slightly interested in moths, but I'd like to get more into them, especially since I've recently started keeping mantids and moths can be a good food source for them.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
The only reason I got the hornworms was due to them being in a reptile store as feeders. They are pretty neat to watch grow and they GROW fast. I will update with pics as my worms are getting ready to burrow and I will start the thread with pics of eggs and update from there.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
The only reason I got the hornworms was due to them being in a reptile store as feeders. They are pretty neat to watch grow and they GROW fast. I will update with pics as my worms are getting ready to burrow and I will start the thread with pics of eggs and update from there.
Sounds cool. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
View attachment 226445 View attachment 226445
I have started a M. sexta hornworm/moth culture and have been doing well with it so far and have even made my own caterpillar chow that they are gobbling up.

I would love to know where I can get my hands on Attacus species or other bigger and prettier moths/butterflies. Any tips?
I've been rearing large numbers of Saturniid moths for over 20 years. Mainly the native USA species, but I do occasionally come across others. It's kinda of the wrong season though especially if you live in the cooler parts of the country. All my local stuff is outdoors snug in their cocoons. I always have lots of extra ovae in the Spring. Here are some shots of the local stuff. wandering regalis.jpg _DSC8284.JPG

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
View attachment 226445 View attachment 226445
I've been rearing large numbers of Saturniid moths for over 20 years. Mainly the native USA species, but I do occasionally come across others. It's kinda of the wrong season though especially if you live in the cooler parts of the country. All my local stuff is outdoors snug in their cocoons. I always have lots of extra ovae in the Spring. Here are some shots of the local stuff. View attachment 226446 View attachment 226447
Pretty! Do you release the adults afterwards?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
@NathanJBoob
I would love to get into Saturniids! Do you make your own worm cow for them? Can you even? I know the plants that M. sexta eat naturally, and none of those are in my worm chow but they still are growing well and loving the chow.

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
pairings.jpg _DSC8350_3290.JPG
@NathanJBoob
I would love to get into Saturniids! Do you make your own worm cow for them? Can you even? I know the plants that M. sexta eat naturally, and none of those are in my worm chow but they still are growing well and loving the chow.
I have a friend that reared a batch of A. atlas on artificial diet that he made himself. The ones that survived did well and got full size. I have heard of others rearing Sats. on artificial diets, but I've never tried them. I do all my rearing outdoors inside big mesh sleeves right on the host plant. This is about the best method. Lots of people rear them indoors on cut branches in water with good results.

Last edited:

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
I just found this http://www.angkorbutterfly.com/bbchome.html What do you guys think? They don't provide many details on how to care for the different species, or many details on pretty much anything. I did do some google searching though, and the program seems legit. Are there government restrictions on importing moths and butterflies to the USA like there are for things like beetles?

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I do believe that from what I have read on the website it says that they need permits on the order pupae. There are technically gov restrictions for "any species that eats all and any form of plants, and as well as polinators." As well as the beetles, phasmids and butterflies it "technically covers almost everything." Then again as long as you don't go posting this stuff Willy nilly and you have them then you're fine. Import is illegal from what I know, import at your own risk. I recommend ovogram.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire

Hmm I never even considered doing this, sounds super interesting. If you get the chance please post pics of your hornworms and or moths, aswell as your setup.