Man made burrows.

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do you make a man made burrow in a new cage?

Do you try to dig a burrow as you would like it to be ,or do you just start one off in the place youd like and hope the spider makes it to their liking?

What do you make them with just stick something in the substrate to make a tunnel?

Thanks
Chid

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could use a empty toiletpaperroll, or one like that, just longer (dont know what the name is...) Just sett in in the corner and fill the tank up whit dirt, then gently remove the roll!
This work good for me! I'd trie it in the first 2 tanks, but now i just let them dig themselves. (It's Haplopelma's :) I did it so i could see them better when they were in their tunnel...

I'm also wondering if you could use a baloon to create a cave in the bottom.. Put the filled baloon on the bottom (Not too big!), set a papertube over it an fill with dirt! Then stik a hole in the baloon so the air comes out, remove the destroyed baloon and the tube and you have a tunnel and a cave!

I dont see why u would do this, because they are indeed capable to do this themselves if they are a burrower, but it's a posibility :rolleyes:

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how do you stop it from caving in after popping the baloon though?:?

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
how do you stop it from caving in after popping the baloon though?:?
You press down on the substrate, but not too much pressure. Make sure that the substrate is a little wet first. Have a mixture of peat moss and soil. This combination tends to hold shape better than others.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Balloon = Freaking AWESOME Idea!

Did you come up with this on your own? Or did you get the idea from someone else?

That is a great idea!!!

Jon