Man killed by thai black?

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how on earth can a Scorpoindae's venom do this to somebody?
Degrees of reaction..

Some people will die from system and organ failure after eating a peanut or taking an aspirin....or testing a 9 volt battery on their tongues..!

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay so this guy is in the middle of nowhere (or so he thinks) doesnt make any attempt to escape. Wastes his money on not one but 2 girls. And is living of murky water and mangoes. Living in a TIN shack? No wonder he died. Look at those poor conditions. If that scorpion wouldn't of ended his misery sure his lack of nutrition would. Or even a scarpe against the tin shack. Or a snake even. These just furthers my belief that it was some type of infection. If it wasnt for that damn scorpion he would of never found the road ie. CIVILIZATION.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
But you can't sell 'sensational' stories about "Man dies from infection due to scrape" but the ever popular human-flesh seeking demon of a scorpion that puts fear into the mundanes soul at it's very sight. Now if they say that killed him people will panic. Especially since you can pick one up at the local pet shop.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Doesn't that link from the Thai forum give us all the anwsers we need?

"Gareth, who is being treated for the scorpion sting by doctors on the infectious diseases ward at the University Hospital of Wales."

Ed

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Mark. The man probably had a severe allergic reaction. And there might be pre-existing medical conditions. Scorpion venom does not make you loose half your body weight. I don't know if you guys have ever been in the jungle but bare in mind that in jungle environment, the smallest wounds and cuts get infected very quickly. My guess is a pre-existing bacterial infection and the symptoms of the venom on top of it.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm sorry, but I can't think of any instance where a scorpion sting by itself is going to turn areas of flesh black. I would think there had to be a bacterial infection in the works.

I would definitely consider that not to be an normal reaction, considering his general state of health as well.

CaptainChaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Exactly... but um not all scorpion venom is neurological. Most high LD50 scorpions have a venom as a defense mechanism as well as a mechanism for attacking prey, Meaning they are designed to attack a mammals nervous system. But i'm just saying... not all scorpion venom attacks the nervous system.
Hemiscorpius lepturus is a good example of that, having cytotoxic venom. And there´s propably more species/subspecies that are waiting to be found and maybe some of them have different venom cocktails, who knows.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I lke it when peple agree with me :D. I'm not that well informed to give examples thanks.

hadrurus 666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im not sure whether i believe it myself but i have read that Heterometrus Swammerdami, or something like that, can be fatal! I didnt get this from the net but a good terrarium book.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can we try to keep the discussion straight? All scorpions can be fatal....Here we go again, venomous, allergic, anaphylaxic shock, LD50values, mice....
pfffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Just scroll the forum back a couple of months and read the threads ;)

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
While that thumb does look rather infected. I must say I bleed and react with more cytotoxic symtoms to bee venom as well as Uroplectes spp venom. I bruise on the sting site, as well as various spots while the venom travels, the sting site also blisters and peels. Often in the past when I have been stung, if I get the flu or a cold a month or so after the sting site and symptoms have healed, it often gets inflammed once again.

But who knows the articles does seem extremely vague and sensational.

hadrurus 666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry Michiel! i just thought i could give my opinion, i didnt know that was forbidden!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wasn't saying it to you alone Hadrurus 666. ;) But sometimes I get a bit tired of these reocurring subjects or something like that :rolleyes: