Man killed by thai black?

audin_laoticus

Arachnopeon
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
45
Hi!

The below article was in the Daily Mirror today (UK)...



Claims that a black thai scorpion killed this bloke. Heterometrus Laoticus? I've got 2 lol didn't think they could kill with just one sting.

More to it than just a scorpion me thinks... thoughts?
 

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
1,977
that wound could not have come from only scorpionidae venom
 

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
111
Is that pic the "culprit"? Definitely not heterometrus. Is it just me or what? Because that scorpion looks buthidae to me.
 

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Messages
1,236
Is that pic the "culprit"? Definitely not heterometrus. Is it just me or what? Because that scorpion looks buthidae to me.
yeah it's just you. that is in no way a buthidae....
 
Last edited:

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
994
If he died of anything, it was probably hemmoragic septicemia from the nasty infection in that wound; he should not have been released with all of that obvious necrotic tissue! A proper hospital would have debrided it and had him on anti-biotcs for sure. If the bacteria from that infection got into the blood stream, it could definately cause the liver damage and internal bleeding described in the article. As for it being caused by the venom in the sting itself? Doubtful.
 

audin_laoticus

Arachnopeon
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
45
It's a pretty vauge article, doesn't give much away does it! Typical tabloid, full of crap. Think beatlemans right surely it MUST have been an alergic reaction. Hmmm, what black scorpions are from that region? I dont know much about scorpions other than my own lol
 

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 9, 2007
Messages
401
It looks more like the results of a spider bite, with some species, bacteria on the fangs cause necrotising flesh symptoms. I'd say he died of bacterial infection.
 

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
506
I'm a bit confused. Did this guy really die? To me it seams totally made up and outta the National Inquirerer. But everyone here is making it sound like it acctually happened. ~ Rex
 

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
2,980
YEAH SEEMS FAKE TO ME TOO. It just doesnt seem possible. Especially not with one sting. A bacterial infections would seem more likely but to get one from such a tiny sting is highly doughtful too. If he was in facft allergic to the venom wouldn't the doctors notice? And would an allergic reaction cause liver damge?
 

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 3, 2006
Messages
1,415
Not to mention if it was a very venomous sting, his thumb would most likely be much more inflamed, not just lacerated/infected. I agree with the above, hoax, bacterial or something of the sort.
 

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 3, 2006
Messages
1,415
Sorry for double-post.

And sorry for not reading the article first. After looking at it, sounds more like Malaryia or something similar. Scorpion venom is mostly neurological, making your denrites and other nervious system parts go wild. I'm not the most advance guy in the boards but I'd doubt scorpion venom could cause internal bleeding.

Ed
 

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
2,980
Exactly... but um not all scorpion venom is neurological. Most high LD50 scorpions have a venom as a defense mechanism as well as a mechanism for attacking prey, Meaning they are designed to attack a mammals nervous system. But i'm just saying... not all scorpion venom attacks the nervous system.
 

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
178
I read this yesterday in The Sun (Another UK paper) but the picture looked more like a heterometrus spinifer. I think they've just chosen any old picture of a black scorpion and decided that it would look good!
 

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
859
i think a small buthid like a sub maculatus or lychas would do that and it ran away after stinging, then what he saw was a het on the ground... wow... how the hell that happened?... someone did the thing and then someone was pointed out? the rest sounds like an infection to me too, either malaria or bacterial infection maybe from a rusty object that hit him not from a scorp... i wonder why people always blame scorps when they see it... :(
 

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
235
Yeah, tabloids are notorious for writing whatever they want whether true or not...Just as long as it's sensational or makes a good read then anything goes.

However i'm sure in this case theres at least some elements of truth. Sure, theres no doubt that the scorpion picture along with the article is something they've dredged out of their archives but the victim himself states he was stung by a black scorpion and a strike to the hand would be logical if he was using his hands to pick up clothes/get dressed.

I don't know how many of you out there have tried living in a jungle but the truth is theres a million different things in there that'll take a grown man down (especially a non native white man) quicker than a quick thing. He could allready have been in s**t street before he got stung.
A simple cut or scratch if not treated can easily (and very quickly) become infected whether it was done by a scorpion stinging you or by yourself while your're scratching your nose. Plus theres parasites and germs, viruses and bacteria's and they are all looking for a way in. Any break of the skin if left unnatended is like an open door.

He was also having a bit of bother with his in-laws which wouldn't have helped either, causing him only to be more stressed out (lowered immune system) and lastly theres his age of 56 which also wouldn't have been a asset for a european in the jungle.

No, i reckon this poor guy just lucked out at every moment when he need a bit of luck.

Heres a paragraph from BBC News link.......I managed to kill it with my shoe and tried to suck the poison out of my thumb but I was too late and the poison had gone through my body.
The ignorant message of course to the world is .. "all scorpions will kill you, watch out".....sort of makes you wonder how many other truths don't even come close...maybe some you even believe in.;)
 

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
115
If I read correctly he died three weeks after the initial sting. He must have died of bacterial infection. NF can be caused from insect stings and bites and such. Looks to be the case to me. Black tissue = bad.

Basically, their is a -chance- of NF with any sort of tissue damage.
 
Top