Malhavoc's Not so Spineless Wonders!

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello Everyone!

This thread is a personal collection of my wonderfully spine included pets!

First up, Damascus

Damascus is a Red Phase Tioman island local kukri snake (O. purpurascens) Bought as a male from the wonderful Kurt Shultz. He took awhile to get established but now that I have his care down pat I have no complaints. Breeding plans for him will be a year or two out as he's just a youngling!

Next up. A north American local Nerodia rhombifer (Rhombi) this guy has come a ways, I bought him at the Toronto reptile expo in Canada where we remained for a year until my immigration was complete then he made the great trip back down south to his homelands with me. She is presumed female and I am hoping to get a captive bred mate this up coming year.

And Finally for this initial post a classic Corn snake named Klaus, A Christmas gift from my wife a few years back. I have no breeding plans for him but also no complaints how can you go wrong with a corn snake?

Attachments

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Damascus is a beauty!!! Any issues with feeding?
There was an adjustment period. Even with the help of the breeder Kurt there was a learning curve. He ended up rejecting traditional F/T which would be an issue for many I suspect however as I have started to focus on the egg eating species I have started a colony of button quail to produce a steady supply of eggs which he has taken too happily after I pre puncture a hole into it for him.

With most egg eaters I have found that the main reason for rejection is the process of cleaning the eggs common in north America for human consumption it removes a lot of the needed scent queues that they would normally go off of. fertile fresh eggs seem to be readily taken by my kukri and Dasypeltis sp (presumed gansii) (pictures coming soon)

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alright, now for the next set of the spine endowed.

I give you Basket, D. Gansii egg eater snake, Not pictured her mate Basket.

This one is Stewie the green keeled belly lizard. G. prasina doing his best to convince you he is starving despite his four crickets earlier.

This one is one of our many Correlophus sarasinorum Also doing his best to convince you he is starving.

How about my Jackson chameleon Deeno. You know, I promise I feed my animals.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Ah, Nerodia rhombifera.
I had one of these many, many years ago. Vicious snake, but awesome. The Nerodia genus seem to have all but vanished from the UK hobby, and whe they do occasionally appear they have rocketted in price. I also had a very odd aberrant Northern water snake.
With the kukri, have you tried frogs legs?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ah, Nerodia rhombifera.
I had one of these many, many years ago. Vicious snake, but awesome. The Nerodia genus seem to have all but vanished from the UK hobby, and whe they do occasionally appear they have rocketted in price. I also had a very odd aberrant Northern water snake.
With the kukri, have you tried frogs legs?
Briefly, however they too were pre prepared for human consumption so not very strong in the scent department, the meat was refused. Tease feeding will seemingly get them to eat pretty much anything but it is a method I have not mastered nor wanted too as it eats the eg yolks just fine I've not needed to stress the snake further.

Also regarding the rhombifer, I find mine to be the sweetest of my collection enjoying chin rubs and seeking handling regularly I have had a few Nerodia over the years and their personally the most defensive I found to be wild caught.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While there are plenty more animals of my Wife and I's collection I thought I'd update some photos of my kukri which molted this week since people seem to like this species.

This is his Enclosure, this snake is an obligate burrower and spends most of his time hidden beneath the substrate and rooting around at his stage in life they desiccate easily so a substrate is a must I may not get to see him much but when I do his colour contrast I adore. that said, with their fangs a snake hook is recommended when fishing him out.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
While there are plenty more animals of my Wife and I's collection I thought I'd update some photos of my kukri which molted this week since people seem to like this species.

This is his Enclosure, this snake is an obligate burrower and spends most of his time hidden beneath the substrate and rooting around at his stage in life they desiccate easily so a substrate is a must I may not get to see him much but when I do his colour contrast I adore. that said, with their fangs a snake hook is recommended when fishing him out.
Absolutely stunning!!

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another new addition, The wife is a large fan of New Caledonia Geckos and has nearly 100 various lizards from the area Crested Sarisinorum. The latest addition is a white collar pine island Chahoua nick named "Geoff".

The wife has some passing interest in possibly creating some hybrids as we do not yet have a female of this species, Anyone have any experience with that?