male tarantulas got a bad deal

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was thinking that male ( t ) has a crap life when they have their last molt then their days are number and if they get to mate ;) :} then 9/ out of /10 poor sods get eaten by the bitch :eek: :eek: :evil: :evil: and i thought i had a crap life never been eaten YET :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D --- phil

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
9 of 10 males don't get eaten.... If we use my personal numbers, 3 of ~12 get eaten, and only because they are left in with the female indefinitely.
I've only actually seen one male get even remote signs of aggression out of a female, and he was way faster than she was.

I do agree that their lot is crap though compared to the long lived females.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will only buy females of the ts i love that way im sure to have them for a long time, lol, i have a male redknee that is sooo beautiful, tho, it will be sad when he passes. I think the males should be treated with great respect during their last yr, lol.....

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sure maybe thier life expectancy is shorter, but if you think about it, in captivity they have it pretty good. Lack of predators, constant food supply, constant temp. and humidity, and when they mature, a very good chance of mating. Yes, they may make the ultimate sacrifice (dinner for female), but at least they get an opportunity to mate. Which from what I understand, once mature is the goal before death.

In the wild "if" they survive to maturity there is no guarantee they will even find a mate, and die without an opportunity to mate.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its sad that some mature males are stunning in color too. Like male T. Apophysis they are gorgeous