male tarantula question

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i had a sling molt last week, it's a p.subfusca. defitinly has emboli so he is a he. my question is, he is small like 3.5" does this just mean that he is a juvie male? will he grow some more and then become a MM? the only male i have seen was one i bought when I paired up a Tap. violaceous female, and his leg span was similar in size to the female. thanks.

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
If its has an embolus on the end of its pedipalps then that means he is mature already. But im not so sure with this specie of pokie (pokies in general coz Im not allowed to have them.:8o), 3 1/2" is kinda small for a mature male... Hmmm but a picture would help alot.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
besides the bulbs on their palps, they will also have hooks on the front 2 legs when they are MM

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Mature Male Pokies will not have hooks on their legs. Just the emboli on the palps. A Pic will tell us for sure :)

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ooo, i didn't know that pokies don't have the hooks, figured most MMs do, sorry for the misinformation, I've never had a male pokies, only plenty of females.

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry for the crappy pics but this guy does not like his pic taken, but he is definitly 5" legspan! way bigger than he looked. 1st pic of emboli.

i have had both for the last 5 molts along with his sack mate which i'm going to say is a female? i think both are highland P.subfusca.
female highland p.subfusca.

let me know what you all think, thanks!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely mature male. No more molts for this guy. Give him a few weeks and he'll be ready to do his thing.
Diane

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it sounded like bubble wrap!

{D i got him last april 22nd. watching him doing his little sperm web thing right now!