Male Small Butt.

Hawk

Arachnopeon
I just got my male GBB and it looks like it is dehydrated or something, its butt is really small, and it doesn't look so good! I put a cricket in their but it seems too weak to catch it.

What do I do?

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
Is it a mature male, or a juvenile? Mature males usually don't eat much, if at all, so they become quite skinny and wither away over time. But if it's a juvenile and you suspect dehydration, you should get it into an icu.

Can you post pics?

Hawk

Arachnopeon
Is it a mature male, or a juvenile? Mature males usually don't eat much, if at all, so they become quite skinny and wither away over time. But if it's a juvenile and you suspect dehydration, you should get it into an icu.

Can you post pics?
I was told it just matured about 4 months ago, how much longer would it have?

Hawk

Arachnopeon
Do you have an adult female? Why get a mature male?

Yah, I got a Mature Female. I plan on mating them soon! I'm going to give it about 2-3 weeks before I mate. First week, settling in. 2nd Week Fine Feeding, possible another week of fine feeding.

---------- Post added 04-30-2013 at 03:56 PM ----------

Also, I just discovered the MM webbing the cricket I through in there. I don't think it was on accident either, he is directing the web on top of the cricket. Reason for this? Never heard anything like it.

I always get some unique T's. LOL.

---------- Post added 04-30-2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

So can anyone help please? Is this dangerous for it to have a small butt? Here is pics. Sorry it is hard to see, but you can see it has a small butt...

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Hawk1515/media/IMG_0297_zps304f71b4.jpg.html

Thanks! Hawk...

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Isn't this your first tarantula? Do you know how difficult GBB are to breed?

Good luck.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Ok, this is my main issue with the site currently it seems everyone is in a rush to do everything without researching nothing.

This hobby isn't a race you don't need to recklessly dive into something without knowing alot about it.... There is plenty of info out here to research, why do something without research? Would you make investments in stock without knowing the market? If you did you would lose alot of money..... Same with tarantulas, yes you can buy 100 Ts on your first purchase if you like but without research for those 100 tarantulas your likely to end up with some dead tarantulas and out of pocket...

Sorry to come across like a prick but sometimes its gotta be that way... Think of it has hard love, good for you to want to breed but your going a bad way about it....

Do you know the rough timeframe it takes from pairing to production of the sack?

Do you know how many eggs are produced?

Do you know GBB are notorious for eating the males!

Etc...etc...etc....

Breeding tarantulas isn't easy I'm sure some of the breeders on this board will tell you that themselves, if it was easy everyone one the board would be doing it and most Ts will be sort cheap.

Research is vital in this hobby I can't stress this enough.... This is the main reason the board is clogged with the most basic questions as threads... Because a lack of research? Wether the maker of the thread says they've researched or not sometimes its very transparent that they haven't as a simple google can bring up hundreds of related topics to the questions being asked.

Sorry for the rant and again sorry for coming across as a prick to you... If I could express it to multiple users in a simple manner I would, infortunately I gotta restyle it everytime which gets tiresome...

Just please before you dive into breeding do some serious research.

It will save you money and will improve your overall knowledge as a keeper which will only benefit you and your Ts... Eventually helping other users in turn when you hand on the info you have learned.

I've been on this board since Jan 2012 and I still research on here daily on topics that I feel will be of benefit to me and my Ts.

I just find it crazy how people can just dive into stuff without research, its naive and reckless IMO.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scoot over CJ, I believe you're on one of my personal soapboxes... Unfortunately, the average modern mindset is to dive first, check water, depth and conditions later. Ironically, in some cases Beginner's Luck kicks in, while others of us are bound by Murphy's Law.

OP, as others have said: be sure it has water available. Small abdomens can be normal in a MM as long as they're rounded and not shriveled.

Hawk

Arachnopeon
Ok, this is my main issue with the site currently it seems everyone is in a rush to do everything without researching nothing.

This hobby isn't a race you don't need to recklessly dive into something without knowing alot about it.... There is plenty of info out here to research, why do something without research? Would you make investments in stock without knowing the market? If you did you would lose alot of money..... Same with tarantulas, yes you can buy 100 Ts on your first purchase if you like but without research for those 100 tarantulas your likely to end up with some dead tarantulas and out of pocket...

Sorry to come across like a prick but sometimes its gotta be that way... Think of it has hard love, good for you to want to breed but your going a bad way about it....

Do you know the rough timeframe it takes from pairing to production of the sack?

Do you know how many eggs are produced?

Do you know GBB are notorious for eating the males!

Etc...etc...etc....

Breeding tarantulas isn't easy I'm sure some of the breeders on this board will tell you that themselves, if it was easy everyone one the board would be doing it and most Ts will be sort cheap.

Research is vital in this hobby I can't stress this enough.... This is the main reason the board is clogged with the most basic questions as threads... Because a lack of research? Wether the maker of the thread says they've researched or not sometimes its very transparent that they haven't as a simple google can bring up hundreds of related topics to the questions being asked.

Sorry for the rant and again sorry for coming across as a prick to you... If I could express it to multiple users in a simple manner I would, infortunately I gotta restyle it everytime which gets tiresome...

Just please before you dive into breeding do some serious research.

It will save you money and will improve your overall knowledge as a keeper which will only benefit you and your Ts... Eventually helping other users in turn when you hand on the info you have learned.

I've been on this board since Jan 2012 and I still research on here daily on topics that I feel will be of benefit to me and my Ts.

I just find it crazy how people can just dive into stuff without research, its naive and reckless IMO.
Thanks for the info, and no you don't come off as a pr*ck to me. LOL. You just are someone who speaks the truth. I know how it is when people don't search, (I use to be on Tech forums and those are bad) I just sometimes have no clue what to type in the search sometimes and when I do I come up blank. I will start using that search tho and go to Barnes and Noble and read some book to hopefully help others.

Thanks everyone I appreciate it.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Water him up. Mature that long, he might have lost interest in eating. If he's weak, he's a sure bet as a meal for the female.

Good luck!

Marga

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

This hobby isn't a race you don't need to recklessly dive into something without knowing alot about it.... There is plenty of info out here to research, why do something without research? Would you make investments in stock without knowing the market? If you did you would lose alot of money..... Same with tarantulas, yes you can buy 100 Ts on your first purchase if you like but without research for those 100 tarantulas your likely to end up with some dead tarantulas and out of pocket...I just find it crazy how people can just dive into stuff without research, its naive and reckless IMO.
+1. Well said. Some newbies want to start in the deep end without an understanding of what's involved. They ask questions, which they should, but sometimes the nature of those questions reveal a nearly complete lack of knowledge, and research, on their part. You should really put some effort into this up front, with books and online searches. If your knowledge of tarantulas is primarily a few brief responses to a thread you started begging for help, you need to take it slow. Take your foot off the gas. It's one thing if you're starting with Aphonopelma and Brachypelma, as there's more margin for error with those. But jumping into intermediate and advanced species right off the bat just seems impulsive. And it's the spiders that suffer. This hobby is not a race. It's a long-term effort, and not about instant gratification.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1. Well said. Some newbies want to start in the deep end without an understanding of what's involved. They ask questions, which they should, but sometimes the nature of those questions reveal a nearly complete lack of knowledge, and research, on their part. You should really put some effort into this up front, with books and online searches. If your knowledge of tarantulas is primarily a few brief responses to a thread you started begging for help, you need to take it slow. Take your foot off the gas. It's one thing if you're starting with Aphonopelma and Brachypelma, as there's more margin for error with those. But jumping into intermediate and advanced species right off the bat just seems impulsive. And it's the spiders that suffer. This hobby is not a race. It's a long-term effort, and not about instant gratification.
Well said man

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well said man
Thank you. I got my first tarantula 40 years ago. Over the years I've seen the hobby get better and better: more species avaiable, more people collecting and owning them, more books, more information (especially on the internet), more taxonomic work. It's improved in every area. There's no need for anyone to feel like this is 'Beat the Clock.' The hobby keeps getting better, take your time, you're not going to miss anything. Enjoy it.

MikeInNC

Arachnopeon
Both of my ~3"-3.5" GBBs molted about 2 weeks ago. Their butts are always very small after a molt. I don't recall how long it takes to fatten them up with normal feeding (1x every 1 to 2 weeks).... But recent molt may be a reason.

-Mike

Hawk

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the reply. What my main concern was, I am unsure really of dehydration that is why I made this post. I have never heard of anything like this. If you seriously seen this T in person you'd be like, "WTF?" It seriously does not look like a T. There is odd discoloration too, not the normal discoloration when you are dehydrated, it is like a white color. The ends of it's feet look like sticks, this thing moves, so I doubt huge dehydration. I've done lots of reading about T's but this is something other then what I've read. Maybe it is sick, but it seems to be moving like a reg. T. Maybe I can catch some more pics of it and post them up.

Thanks again everyone.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks everyone for the reply. What my main concern was, I am unsure really of dehydration that is why I made this post. I have never heard of anything like this. If you seriously seen this T in person you'd be like, "WTF?" It seriously does not look like a T. There is odd discoloration too, not the normal discoloration when you are dehydrated, it is like a white color. The ends of it's feet look like sticks, this thing moves, so I doubt huge dehydration. I've done lots of reading about T's but this is something other then what I've read. Maybe it is sick, but it seems to be moving like a reg. T. Maybe I can catch some more pics of it and post them up.

Thanks again everyone.
Definitely posts some pics. From what you say, it does not sound good.