1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Male Phidippus Regius- is he an adult?

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Noah Clark, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    I don't have pics atm because I'm not home but I was thinking. I've seen adult male regal jumpers before and almost all of then have white on the backs of their heads and very bright and fluffy tufts of white hair on their front legs. Mine does, but it's not very brightly coloured. He has no white on the back of his head.
    He has eaten to the point where his abdomen is about a millimetre wider than his head in diameter.
    Can a male jumping spider have swollen pedipalps if he still has one more moult to go?
    I've never seen a fat male jumper so yeah
    I can provide pics later if necessary but I think I described him pretty well. He basically looks like a female phidippus audax with way less hair and a much larger head and chelicerae.

2. Yes, you may notice bulbous palps in a subadult male. Pictures would be immensely helpful here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 0913172023.jpg C360_2017-09-13-15-44-50-974.jpg

4. also, he is kinda sluggish. As if he's digesting his food specifically for a moult. And I know Tupperware isn't best for them, but it's what I had and I am getting critter keepers today. In my ken the bug guy order I did request that the spiders be in either the penultimate instar or very young adults.
    C360_2017-09-16-15-07-03-387.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

The one on your arm looks like a penultimate male. (The palps look swollen but undeveloped.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Agreed. 1 more moult until he's a MM by the look of him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes, he's a sub-adult male.
    Thank you for the images.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sorry for the late reply, but you're welcome! Thanks for your help! But I do have a question. What do the resting sacs of P regius typically look like? Every p audax sac I've seen was dense and almost white. My male regius has made a sac in which he's been in for a few days now, it's very rough and lazy looking. Is he going to moult or is this a standard resting sac?

9. basin79

He'll keep adding to it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking

CT
    FullSizeRender-7.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yup! That's exactly what his looks like, thank you for the pic! :)

12. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking

CT
    No problem! They will add more over time though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. basin79

He'll add more silk over time. I give my jumpers sling pots to make a hammock in. Stops them webbing up the top/lid.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Anything special you'd recommend to care for him while he is in his sac? Or should I just leave him alone and continue misting daily. Should I turn his enclosure lights off?

15. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking

CT
    I don't use lights with my enclosures. Also, nope! Just keep misting the enclosure daily and the spider will be fine.

• Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  16. basin79

Just leave him alone. Don't spray the web. A little spray on a surface for him to have a drink if he wants one.

17. Just an update, he's made his nest a lot thicker and a bit wider. Doesn't look like a loosely assembled mess anymore. Can't wait for him to emerge! At this point, when can I expect him to moult?

18. Adding to that, last time he ate before becoming a couch potato was Friday, 15 september.

19. basin79

Any day.

20. Ok everybody
    My boi has exited his sac, he is on top of it now. He hasn't moulted. But he seems to be chewing on/biting the sac
    Wtf he do

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.