male or female?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All my pictures were wiped out when they tore down the server they were uploaded to:mad: . I had allot of pics on that server. Anyway, so now I'm using Photobucket.com. There was another Parabuthus transvaalicus molt last night. It's really young so I don't know if it can be sexed yet or not. Can it? What do you think? Male or female? It was upside down, ready to molt so I thought I would take advantage of the pose.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't help you on the sexing, but I can say that those are some Awesome molt photos!

Sorry you lost all of your photos. I lost my entire (no backups) hard drive once, I was crushed...

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh wow!!! look at that tail!! what instar is it now?? thats awesome.. I am waiting on my fatty to molt. sorry Im not sure how to help you with the P.trans sexing.. I will search it and get back to this though.

Only Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like a male to me but I'll leave it up to the more experienced members to help you out....

Ron

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
alright I found out that apparently Parabuthus sp. cannot be accurately IDed by counting the pectines because this often overlaps between male and female. however, with P.trans you should be able to get an idea by the "bulbousness" of the chelae. so if it has skinny claws it should be female and if they are bulbous at the base it should be male. also the angle at the base of the pectines should be about 90 degrees in a male and more like 120 in females. just what I have read. hope it helps

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's a female bro. Alex (Nazgul) posted in VenomList that females in most Parabuthus spp. have that lobe at the base of pectines.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah but I said that they CANT be determined by counting :p and I think quiz just made reference to that post of yours :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So it's looking like a female so far? Eeeeexcellent (tenting fingers like Mr. Burns). I'm going to think that's what it is right now since that's what I want it to be:) . But guess we'll just have to wait til it grows up. Thanks for the info, that was interesting.

Oh, I'm not sure what instar it is in. I didn't keep up with the molts. I bet someone can make a good guess.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good news! It looks like it to me anyway. I had another molt. I am almost certain this one and the one at the beginning of this thread are at the same instar now. I scanned the skin of the one that just molted and it has no lobes, the ones quiz pointed out. If this one is not at the same instar, it could be a molt behind. But I just scanned the newly molted scorp and ..no lobes. It's looking like a pair, but.... I will not count on it and see how it goes as they mature. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here is a scan of each. Sorry, something is wrong with my scanner. It's old. Definitely look male and female to me from looking at the pectines. These scrops are still very young... like 7 to 8 months:? . Something like that.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
thats great! nice to know you have a pair. if only I had a scanner :D

Thanks! Scanners are cheap! I bought this one about 6 years ago new at BestBuy for between $60 and $70. These scans were at 4800 dpi but it goes up to 9800 dpi (I think that's "dots per inch"). I bet you can really get some good inexpensive ones today. This one wigged out a little a while ago. I think I'm going to start looking at new ones. But I need a whole new computer really.