Male or Female?

Male or Female?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Hey, guys! Thank so for stopping by. All of my B. vagans slings recently molted, and this is the only molt that was intact. These boogers are approximately +/- 2".

Posted pictures display a molt that I have tried to sex. I need your opinions! Thanks again! :)

Attachments

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Looks male but the molt is wet and not fully stretched so it's hard to say for sure.. The lighting also sucks.. For an old fart like me that is:rofl:...

When sexing Ts especially smaller ones it helps to let them dry a little and put them on something transparent and illuminate them from beneath to show as much detail as possible.. Like this. 20170415_132822_HDR.jpg see how clearly you can see the important parts ? This T is about 3 inches..

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It looks like a molt to me. I don't think exoskeletons are inherently male or female...

Kidding aside, try taking the picture through a magnifying glass after the molt dries and use some backlighting. You'll notice a lot of improvement. At 2", you should be able to see it...

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
Sorry for piggybacking on this thread.

Im just curious,are the 'important parts' of tarantulas for sexing(such as the 'flaps') only develop at the juvenile stage,or do they already have it at sling stage and its only a matter of how visible it is?

Because i have a b.albo,around 2" now, which i already sexed twice from 2 exuvs from 2 consecutive molts. The exuv i got from 2 molts ago suggests its a male(based on my observation and another one from a more experienced hobbyist).but from the last molt,flaps were visible which suggests a female.so the question stands,do they only develop the 'parts' at a given size?

I also have a similar case with my gbb,iooked female ventrally but looked male from exuv at 2.5".so i dunno what to say about it,it also grows fast,it is now larger than the b.albo,but the albo was a little larger than the gbb is the sling stage.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Im just curious,are the 'important parts' of tarantulas for sexing(such as the 'flaps') only develop at the juvenile stage,or do they already have it at sling stage and its only a matter of how visible it is?
The reproductive anatomy develops with each molt. How early you can see it depends on the species and your ability to manipulate and magnify tiny exuviae.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
The reproductive anatomy develops with each molt. How early you can see it depends on the species and your ability to manipulate and magnify tiny exuviae.
Any idea on what size of the gbb does the reproductive organs be definitely and accurately determined/seen using a naked eye/awesome camera $k1!z of an iphone?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Any idea on what size of the gbb does the reproductive organs be definitely and accurately determined/seen using a naked eye/awesome camera $k1!z of an iphone?
Backlight a dry, stretched out molt and maybe 2" without magnifying glass*.

*if you know what you're looking for.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I sexed mine at 2.25" using a digital camera in macro mode.