male or female, s. subspinipes de haani!?

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello

anyone who know how I can se the difference between males and females in this species??

My specimen is large, maybe 20cm(8 inches)

I also want to ask about lifespan,is there any difference between male an female when i comes to this?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hello

anyone who know how I can se the difference between males and females in this species??

My specimen is large, maybe 20cm(8 inches)

I also want to ask about lifespan,is there any difference between male an female when i comes to this?
off hand id say you would have to witness mating to know which is male and female for sure. I am unaware of any proven way to sex them and keep them alive. But if there is a way id love to know it myself. I know someone who has pretty good luck sexing them after a lot of trial and error lol but he says he just looks at them and one looks male or female ...thats over simplifying it tho

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's also the old adage . . . "If it lays eggs, it's female." ;)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe he wonders, if it never lays eggs but could still be female . . . :?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, really ...I don't know. But some bigger ones I have that I know are males have really long legs and really long antennae. But that may not be because they are males. Maybe just genetics or maybe they are older.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's the great centipede conspiracy, come to confuse all us poor hobbyists. :D

I wonder if the potential for hermaphroditism in myriapods has occurred to anyone . . . meh.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, really ...I don't know. But some bigger ones I have that I know are males have really long legs and really long antennae. But that may not be because they are males. Maybe just genetics or maybe they are older.
yeah, all of the male pedes i have are just thinner,long antennae,legs also,where as the females are thicker(wider),shorter antennae,shorter legs, could be.

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What I've noticed with observing centipedes is that males seem to be more slender with a slightly bigger difference between the size of its head and following segments. Based on this, I had always assumed that my subspinipes was a female, and sure enough, it laid eggs. Could've just been a lucky guess though.