male or female?(p.regalis)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you take a few more? I am having issues with the light and shadows.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
even though I'm 100% not sure...imma go with male and just see what it ends up being.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
heres a closer shot.in a way it looks female but im almost leaning towards male.tricky one heh

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ill throw my hat in the ring for male. But I see two nipps sticking out but higher then I would think they should be......:confused: Shouldent we be looking in the big circle?
Actually I think I see the ridge of a flap in the big circle...... I am so lost Ill let others chime in.

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah it is a little confusing hehe
so u think its def female rubenphobia?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd say female as well, I think the angle and the lighting or just making it appear otherwise. If you could, get a side shot of the areas that Ryan circled.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Talken, I got a question concerning this picture....those lil red dots all inside the underside of the molt are those where all the hairs are coming out of that are on the surface of the tarantula?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think those are the hair follicles. So on the outside opposite of where you see those inside there would be a hair. I think........... someone correct me if I am way off.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think those are the hair follicles. So on the outside opposite of where you see those inside there would be a hair. I think........... someone correct me if I am way off.
if they are that...i cant imagine how many uricating hairs some T's have..which leads me to my next question..are some new world Tarantula species born with more uricating hairs than others? if so why?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if they are that...i cant imagine how many uricating hairs some T's have..which leads me to my next question..are some new world Tarantula species born with more uricating hairs than others? if so why?
I dont think those are the uricating hairs. I think they are Setae(spelling?). Your testing me big time. I need to brush up on my parts of a T knowledge. :8o

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
With the way that molt is laid out it is a bit hard to discern, that fold in the middle needs to be spread apart and the epigynum flattened out more.
See if you can stand the spermatheca up with a pin or something (assuming there is one).

Here's a pic of a 'wet' one with a pin for size comparison (female)

This is a kinda dried up crinkley one from a little bigger specimen(female)

Bill

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey great pics..... do you have a male for compairson? That flap seems kind easy to see....... but those are bigger specimens I am assuming.

syndicate how bigs yours?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thanks Bill.i will try and get more shots and see if i can spread this one out better.
talkenlate this spider is now probaly round 3-4"

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank god one person agrees with me. I really started to trick myself and was thinking it was unisex. :D