Male or female how do I tell?

CreepyCapture

Arachnopeon
Greetings,

I have a Venezuelan Suntiger that I was told was a male from a picture, but each picture of females I see shows them to be darker and mine is dark like the other females, but I don't know for sure. How will I know for sure... because if it's a male apparently he needs to be studded out. Sadly my tar isn't eating and it's just plain miserable to watch him? walk around waiting to pass on.

Thanks for any help,
Sincerely CC

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The best and easyest way to sex a T is from a molt. Sexing a tarantula ventrally can be difficult and it can make it more difficult if your dealing with an aggressive species. If your ventral sexing an aggressive species its best that you use a clear cup so you can get a good look

To sex a T from a molt you will want to check for the following...
Female: you will want to check for a flap.
Male: there will be no flap. (mature males) will have hooks on the front of there legs, As females being darker im not sure of, I think you are going more along the lines of females being a little more bolder in color. Females will normally have bigger abdomens and are usually more stockyer than males. If your T is not eating then its prolly getting ready to molt.
I hope this helps ya.

Last edited:

peterock44

Arachnopeon
the male P.irmina is sexually dimorphic from females upon ultimate molt. if its a mm then you will definitly know it.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the male P.irmina is sexually dimorphic from females upon ultimate molt. if its a mm then you will definitly know it.
If it was a Mm what type of coloring would it have versus if it was female?

Just curious. I don't own a P. irmina but I always enjoy learning something new.