male or female and age?

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hopefully my pics have uploaded correctly. Is she a she or a he? Can you tell the age as well?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hopefully my pics have uploaded correctly. Is she a she or a he? Can you tell the age as well?
no idea on age but prob in excess of 5 years
hard to tell in that pic as to sex but id guess female

Cthulhu1254

Arachnopeon
Well, actually those pictures are *very small.* You might not have noticed. However, I'd throw an ax at female, as well. As for age, that is pretty much impossible to tell. Rosies tend to be pretty slow growers, but I've ne'er raised one from a s'ling so I'm not entirely sure how slow.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, actually those pictures are *very small.* You might not have noticed. However, I'd throw an ax at female, as well. As for age, that is pretty much impossible to tell. Rosies tend to be pretty slow growers, but I've ne'er raised one from a s'ling so I'm not entirely sure how slow.
they grow VERY VERY slow. John Hoke showed me a g. rosea that was 3 years old and it was still a sling! I didn't believe him at first but I said to myself why would john lie about something like this. LOL

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a pretty good ventral shot you took. Somebody more experienced here would probably be able to tell you sex. However, the pic does need to be much bigger. They need to be able to see the area between her book lungs clearly to attempt to sex her/him. Can you upload a larger pic or a link to a larger pic?

<edit> WOW - you must have been reading my mind - LOL...

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How d'ya figure? I don't see much of a bald spot.

a calm unstressed T may not have a bald spot. a bald spot doesnt indicate an upcoming molt anyway. My G. rosea flicked a big bald spot a week after she molted last time lol. but if you see a bald spot and its black thats a give away. The dull colors are a fair indicator, if you knew what she looked liek after a molt ...
But yeah i still stand by my female statement. and agian age is only conjecture, but seeing its a female at >3.5" prob 5 years or a bit more...

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like a female to me. If they have 3 or more inch leg span and it still doesn't have the spermhooks at the end of each pedipalps it's probably a female, which yours seem likely to be. And their appear to be no web making organ, which looks like little hair, in the area right above the epigastric furrow, so it's female in my opinion, but the picture is kindda on the small side.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like a female to me. If they have 3 or more inch leg span and it still doesn't have the spermhooks at the end of each pedipalps it's probably a female, which yours seem likely to be. And their appear to be no web making organ, which looks like little hair, in the area right above the epigastric furrow, so it's female in my opinion, but the picture is kindda on the small side.
scratching head, HUH

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do a search on Rick West. His website will pop up and go the part about sexing spider. It show exactly what I mean about the silk making organs the male use to build a sperm web. And on Stan Schultz website the part about G. rosea caresheet it will tell you that a rosie with three inch or more leg span is a female if it hasn't develop the spermhooks at the end of each pedipalps.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do a search on Rick West. His website will pop up and go the part about sexing spider. It show exactly what I mean about the silk making organs the male use to build a sperm web. And on Stan Schultz website the part about G. rosea caresheet it will tell you that a rosie with three inch or more leg span is a female if it hasn't develop the spermhooks at the end of each pedipalps.
i never heard of sperm hooks lol
I assumed you meant tibial hooks, but now i think you mean emboli. and Epiandrous fusillae

I also dont think you can judge that by size either...However its probably a good chance its female at that size but still
thats what people say about A. anax too and i have a 7" legspan male so...

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's what I mean...tibial hooks. Sorry, I haven't posted on about tarantula for such a long time. I have been busy and more involve with my green iguana and other reptiles. I am now just beginning to get into T once again, and I'm hoping someone will ship me a female B. smithi soon.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks everyone, i suspected a female :) ... i wasn't 100%, but i didn't figure close to 5 years :(
ps aragorn - my link is not big enough :confused:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's what I mean...tibial hooks. Sorry, I haven't posted on about tarantula for such a long time. I have been busy and more involve with my green iguana and other reptiles. I am now just beginning to get into T once again, and I'm hoping someone will ship me a female B. smithi soon.
you should order some from Ryan , he has the best prices right now i know of . Of course he had over 2000 slings too...