Male Kukulcania Laying on Enclosure Floor

Sluggo

Arachnopeon
Hello!
My Kukulcania hibernalis molted into a mature male roughly a month ago. He's been wandering around a lot at night, just doing laps around his enclosure. I haven't been able to get him to eat anything since Early June. He's only been drinking water.

This morning I found him laying on his enclosure floor; not moving even when I give him a poke. The only reason I know he's alive is because I thought he was dead and tried to remove him and that's when he finally moved a little bit. He is NEVER out during the daytime and I'm really worried about him.

Is there anything I should do for him? Should I try pre-killing something and giving it to him?
1594907637246.png 1594907646033.png

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I had a female and before her death she would do the same, not be bothered by a prod, she wouldn't eat and would not hide.
You can try to leave pre killed food in for him and see what he does.
Maybe spray a little water near him in case he wants to drink.
Other than that there isn't a whole lot you can do

Sluggo

Arachnopeon
I had a female and before her death she would do the same, not be bothered by a prod, she wouldn't eat and would not hide.
You can try to leave pre killed food in for him and see what he does.
Maybe spray a little water near him in case he wants to drink.
Other than that there isn't a whole lot you can do
Awh dang alright! Thank you for this information friend.
I'm really sad that I only had him for around for 2ish months. I feel like I did something wrong because a lot of people said males can live up to 6ish months once they mature, but he's only been a mature male for a month or so.
He just has refused all food I've offered him, even pre-killed since he molted.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is there anything I should do for him? Should I try pre-killing something and giving it to him?
It won't hurt to offer pre-killed food, though they typically aren't very interested in food. Unless he has been exposed to something topic, he might just be nearing the end of his days.

I'm really sad that I only had him for around for 2ish months. I feel like I did something wrong because a lot of people said males can live up to 6ish months once they mature, but he's only been a mature male for a month or so.
I was just guessing on the lifespan. I've never actually kept a mature male long enough to see how long they last; I always immediately release them or pair them with one of my females.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Males don’t really eat much after they mature, nor do they live long. Unfortunately males of most true spiders are like this. It’s likely doing laps hoping to find a female.

Sluggo

Arachnopeon
It won't hurt to offer pre-killed food, though they typically aren't very interested in food. Unless he has been exposed to something topic, he might just be nearing the end of his days.

I was just guessing on the lifespan. I've never actually kept a mature male long enough to see how long they last; I always immediately release them or pair them with one of my females.
Ahh okay! I've offered him both life and prekilled food, as well as food that's smaller than I normally feed him in an attempt to entice him. He went back up into his hide for now but man his abdomen is looking mighty tiny.

Males don’t really eat much after they mature, nor do they live long. Unfortunately males of most true spiders are like this. It’s likely doing laps hoping to find a female.
Yes that's what I figure he's doing! Looking for a gal! Poor little guy.

Last edited by a moderator: