Male hissing cockroach *pumping* his abdomen alot

RazielRat

Arachnopeon
One of my male hissing cockroaches every morning sits on top of the corkwood in the tank and heavily pumps his abdomen. He will do this for a good while. He is not hissing though *he is able to hiss though lol, I have checked. Is this normal?
View attachment 20210227_120953.mp4

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
I got two males that do that too. Curly and Brad tend to be quieter hissers, I have to really bug them to get them to hiss for me, so I think they're trying to lure women over with that stretching out of their bodies.

Also, how old is this hisser? Since I don't know how old Curly or Brad are (had them shipped), I think they might be geriatric? They both look like they've seen better days, especially since they've joined my cage and started to fight with each other on occasion. They started to lose antennae, lost front parts of feet in some cases, still seem to move and live fine otherwise, which I know can happen as hissers get older. So maybe he's just an old bug, looking for love but can't cry out for it as loud as he used to?

RazielRat

Arachnopeon
Yeah I guessed that too it prolly him letting off a scent or something cause the large female I. The tank will often be up there with him later. He is moderately young. Fron the first brood that my original five had. So maybe half a year? Idk lol
I have a pretty decent healthy colony. I breed them for hobby and am gonna be setting up smaller tanks to selectively breed for unique colors/markings below is my large solid black female Onyx. Not a rare color but still I like to show her off hahaha IMG_20210319_170638_906.jpg

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Yeah I guessed that too it prolly him letting off a scent or something cause the large female I. The tank will often be up there with him later. He is moderately young. Fron the first brood that my original five had. So maybe half a year? Idk lol
I have a pretty decent healthy colony. I breed them for hobby and am gonna be setting up smaller tanks to selectively breed for unique colors/markings below is my large solid black female Onyx. Not a rare color but still I like to show her off hahaha View attachment 379221
i plan to do the same with some of my hisser species. what species is this?

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
My first litter (they're almost adults now!) has a lot of solid blacks that I'm gonna try to breed to get a bunch of little shadows. Their mom was rather dark (her name is Ebony for a reason) but not completely black so it's gonna be interesting to see what colors the grandbabies of Ebony will get.

RazielRat

Arachnopeon
My first litter (they're almost adults now!) has a lot of solid blacks that I'm gonna try to breed to get a bunch of little shadows. Their mom was rather dark (her name is Ebony for a reason) but not completely black so it's gonna be interesting to see what colors the grandbabies of Ebony will get.
Yeah the solid black trait seems to be carried more in the females, alot of the males from her brood were black but lost it after a few moltings. But the ones that kept the solid black into adulthood are all females. A few have realy defined white lines *not just the seam* at the edges of their sections which is really neat IMG_20210319_170009_584.jpg

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
That actually looks like a pregnant female. That's their equivalent of stretch marks. I see it on the younger ones all the time when they're about to molt so either she's immature or just about to pop.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
That actually looks like a pregnant female. That's their equivalent of stretch marks. I see it on the younger ones all the time when they're about to molt so either she's immature or just about to pop.
Nope, that’s a male. Horns are much more prominent than on females.

RazielRat

Arachnopeon
Nope, that’s a male. Horns are much more prominent than on females.
No it's definitely a male. I took entamology in college. I know how to sex roaches. It's the nuances of their behaviors I am still getting a grasp for lol.

RazielRat

Arachnopeon
That actually looks like a pregnant female. That's their equivalent of stretch marks. I see it on the younger ones all the time when they're about to molt so either she's immature or just about to pop
and if you mean the black one in the images not the video that is a completely different line of conversation where I even say that the black one is a female