Male/female ratio when buying multiple slings.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Just like it sounds: people who bought multiple slings of a single species, what were your male to female ratios? Not looking for the non-existent formula to female success here, just want to know what people ended up with.

I'll start with mine (so far).
Brachypelma albiceps 3 slings - one dead shortly after arrival, one male, one suspect female.
Psalmopoeus pulcher 4 slings - 2 male, 2 female.
Psalmopoeus victori 3 slings - 1 male, 2 female. :happy:
Cyriopagopus hainanus 3 slings - 2 male, 1 female
Hysterocrates gigas 3 slings - 3 suspect female (while mine hoard their molts, and never climb the sides of their enclosures, they are of a size now where sexual dimorphism would have kicked in and none have the slender build of the males I have seen pictured, but I won't go out on a limb of calling them confirmed females)
Phormingochilus carpenteri 6 slings - one dead shortly after arrival, 3 males, 2 females.
Poecilotheria vittata 4 slings - one dead shortly after arrival, 2 males, 1 female.
Pterinochilus murinus 'usambara' 3 slings - 3 males (ended up buying a juvie female shortly after buying these and only paid $11 dollars each for the slings, so not a big loss)

Overall I've done pretty well so far.

Last edited:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
From ones I bought multiple:
4 B. hamorii - 2.2
5 P. sazimai - 2.2.1
2 C. versicolor - 0.2

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My extremes
5 B. emilia, one unsexed died during one of my moves, the other 4 have turned out female
7 GBB 6.0.1.....I give up lol, I ended up giving the unsexed one to someone else too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Buying multiples-- you never what you'll get, I've had nearly all male, all male, almost all female, and all female!

One doesn't have a 50% chance of getting a particularly sex, which is why I rarely buy multiples.

Just like it sounds: people who bought multiple slings of a single species, what were your male to female ratios? Not looking for the non-existent formula to female success here, just want to know what people ended up with.

I'll start with mine (so far).
Brachypelma albiceps 3 slings - one dead shortly after arrival, one male, one suspect female.
Psalmopoeus pulcher 4 slings - 2 male, 2 female.
Psalmopoeus victori 3 slings - 1 male, 2 female. :happy:
Cyriopagopus hainanus 3 slings - 2 male, 1 female
Hysterocrates gigas 3 slings - 3 suspect female (while mine hoard their molts, and never climb the sides of their enclosures, they are of a size now where sexual dimorphism would have kicked in and none have the slender build of the males I have seen pictured, but I won't go out on a limb of calling them confirmed females)
Phormingochilus carpenteri 6 slings - one dead shortly after arrival, 3 males, 2 females.
Poecilotheria vittata 4 slings - one dead shortly after arrival, 2 males, 1 female.
Pterinochilus murinus 'usambara' 3 slings - 3 males (ended up buying a juvie female shortly after buying these and only paid $11 dollars each for the slings, so not a big loss)

Overall I've done pretty well so far.

It's clear you are overloaded with female Ts there, I will contact the FBA (Federal Bureau of Arachnophiliacs) and let them know you will be making a "donation" for people whose Ts have been affected by COVID-19. I'll make sure to take good care of them. Don't worry it's tax deductible!

Ella1984

Arachnopeon
3 Brachypelma Klaasi - all males
19 Psalmopoeus Irminia - 6 females, 13 males
9 Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens - 4 females, 5 males
5 Xenesthis Immanis - 2 females, 2 males, 1 unknown (destroyed molt)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
One doesn't have a 50% chance of getting a particularly sex, which is why I rarely buy multiples.
This is exactly why I do buy multiples. Your odds of getting a female increase the more you get. Not a guarantee, mind you, just better odds.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is exactly why I do buy multiples. Your odds of getting a female increase the more you get. Not a guarantee, mind you, just better odds.
Yep I know. I’ve only bought multiples a few times- sometimes they were all male.

My best was 5 slings and 3 were female:astonished:

uncle bane

Arachnopeon
I like buying multiples to improve the odds of raising a sling to adulthood not just for the ratio advantage. But, as u asked..... 10 G.Rosea 3 have passed away, 3 female and 4 male. Got them at the BTS 2016 for £3 each lol bargain !

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My "worst" streak - Ephebopus cyanognathus. I forget whether it's 4 or 5 of these I've previously raised from slings, but haven't had a female yet. Just picked up a new one locally the other day, so maybe 6th time's a charm.

Ella1984

Arachnopeon
3 Brachypelma Klaasi - all males
19 Psalmopoeus Irminia - 6 females, 13 males
9 Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens - 4 females, 5 males
5 Xenesthis Immanis - 2 females, 2 males, 1 unknown (destroyed molt)

UPDATE on 9 Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (4 females, 5 males) - it's ended up to be 6 females and 3 males.

ErikElvis

Newb
I bought 2 chacos and 2 giant Brazilian white knees hoping I’ll get at least one female. Would be nice if I got 1 female out of each.