Male eaten.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im pretty furious. I shark tanked my male and female fasciatum. I guess I didnt have the males lid on properly because I came down tonight to open his lid and I found the female eating him. I doubt that there was any intercourse before she ate him, so Im not expecting a sac from her. This was one of the species that I was looking forward to getting a sac from. Now my stupid mistake results in a dead male.

This is the first time that a female has eaten a male during breeding (for me).

Im hoping my other girl drops a sac. She was with a male before I recieved her last month and is looking fat. But it just wont be the same. I didnt breed her so it wont be satisfying to see her drop a sac.

This is the 2nd time that I have failed with my old female. Last time she was too late in her molt cycle and the male died. Now this...bummer.

schadbone

Arachnopeon
Sorry Jake,

That stinks, if you saw my thread some time ago, I Poisoned my T's.
How that is dumb !!!

Regards
Steve

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks guys. I know its all part of the game, but it still sucks. He took both fangs straight to the abdomen.

schadbone

Arachnopeon
That's a female for you !!

I am sure if I did not mow the lawn and kill bugs, I would get the same. {D

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It really is more common than not. We as hobbyists are really GUESSING when a female will or might be receptive and in most instances the male pays for it, BIG TIME.

I lost two males this weekend and am sure I will lose many more.

PIG-

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
About 4 months ago I tried to pair 2 C. fasciatum as well, and the female was not in the mood. I was watching over them, and she still snapped and attacked him. Happened fast, and he got hurt in the process. He never recovered from the first attempt and never went back in for a second, he died less than a month later.

Seems like females from the Species are REALLY aggressive to the males. Most of the breeding reports I have read, well, attempted breeding reports on them, have mostly ended with the female killing the male, and no sac.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only time I had a male get eaten was with a pair of H.Maculata's. She plastered him to the side of the tank like an ornament, I got a good sized sack out of that encounter though, I hope you get the same,even if you dont think so, He went out searching for her and got himself dead. Good Luck though.
~Aaron

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About 4 months ago I tried to pair 2 C. fasciatum as well, and the female was not in the mood. I was watching over them, and she still snapped and attacked him. Happened fast, and he got hurt in the process. He never recovered from the first attempt and never went back in for a second, he died less than a month later.

Seems like females from the Species are REALLY aggressive to the males. Most of the breeding reports I have read, well, attempted breeding reports on them, have mostly ended with the female killing the male, and no sac.
I noticed that too. She was really receptive every time I tried to pair them except when he had her lifted up one time she went for him. Next time I try to breed her or my other female fasciatum, Im getting more males. I figured I will start getting young and penultimate males now so I have a few mature around the time the females molt (Hopefully).

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Jake, Dang-it :(! You're luck sounds about as good as mine here recently. I think we're both due a break! I hope some really good thingS happen for us soon. :)

Terry