Malaysian Pit viper

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whew, that is one beautiful snake. I really can't wait to get some hots....you're making my impatience worse with all the ones you're getting.

Cass

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whew, that is one beautiful snake. I really can't wait to get some hots....you're making my impatience worse with all the ones you're getting.

Cass

Cool that you are keeping tabs on me!! {D{D

Some one now wants to trade me for an albino cobra! never had elipads(spelled wrong i am sure) only had pit vipers

jere000

Arachnosquire
No it is full grown but do not let the size full you{D

But is very easy to handle on a hook
I would never handle a hot lol i would get on of those hide boxes that close and get him in that when i needed to move him or clean his cage lol.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would never handle a hot lol i would get on of those hide boxes that close and get him in that when i needed to move him or clean his cage lol.

Yes! I clear the house of all people and put him in one of those when I do cage cleaning,even my wife's <poop> zoo lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jere000

Arachnosquire
Yes! I clear the house of all people and put him in one of those when I do cage cleaning,even my wife's <poop> zoo lol!!!
Lol good to see someone on the same track as me lol I'm pussy when it comes to hots and would never take any risks that i wouldn't need to except making naturalistic enclosures hots look so nice in them,, i want to get a Bitis nasicornis.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol good to see someone on the same track as me lol I'm pussy when it comes to hots and would never take any risks that i wouldn't need to except making naturalistic enclosures hots look so nice in them,, i want to get a Bitis nasicornis.
Yes I want one of those, I have a friend that has one..very nice!

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool that you are keeping tabs on me!! {D{D
Hahaha well there are so few hots that get posted that I have to get excited whenever I see them.

I imagine our first hot will be a copperhead or something along those lines. My ultimate hot goal, though: the fer de lance :drool:

Cass

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Gorgeous snake! I love the Gaboons and Rhino vipers - but won't get any until my kids are out of the house.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Read before thinking about getting hots

jere000, Bitis nasicornis require expert care as they are one of the more sensitive in the Bitis genus, hailing from central African rainforests. Definately not the best for beginner hot keepers. Especially since venom yields are in upwards of 200mg. You first need to call your local Zoo and/or hospitals to see what kind of anti-venom they carry if you are even considering keeping exotic hots, just in case. I'd stick with something more in the vein of Agkistrodon to start off with then after atleast year try some Crotalus since most Hospitals and Zoo's will have Crofab on hand. Jumping right into exotic hots is extremely dangerous, especially if you keep stuff that the your Zoo or Hospital doesn't have anti-venom for. Heres a post from the Southeast Hot Herp Society on the cost of a anti-venom and treatments/amputations that have come from hot snake bites http://www.venomousreptiles.org/forums/Experts/48012.

Its definately something to think about before getting a hot species.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hahaha well there are so few hots that get posted that I have to get excited whenever I see them.

I imagine our first hot will be a copperhead or something along those lines. My ultimate hot goal, though: the fer de lance :drool:

Cass
A copperhead was my first hot about 20 years ago.I would defiantly decide to get this one before any exotic.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jere000, Bitis nasicornis require expert care as they are one of the more sensitive in the Bitis genus, hailing from central African rainforests. Definately not the best for beginner hot keepers. Especially since venom yields are in upwards of 200mg. You first need to call your local Zoo and/or hospitals to see what kind of anti-venom they carry if you are even considering keeping exotic hots, just in case. I'd stick with something more in the vein of Agkistrodon to start off with then after atleast year try some Crotalus since most Hospitals and Zoo's will have Crofab on hand. Jumping right into exotic hots is extremely dangerous, especially if you keep stuff that the your Zoo or Hospital doesn't have anti-venom for. Heres a post from the Southeast Hot Herp Society on the cost of a anti-venom and treatments/amputations that have come from hot snake bites http://www.venomousreptiles.org/forums/Experts/48012.

Very good advise.The Agkistrodon is a very good beginner hot,but still most be treated as the most venomous snake in the world and no anti-venom is the right mind set to handle anything with potential to ruin your day.

They were my first hots,then I moved to Crotalus

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice! I have fantasy s of owning pygmy rattlers! lol the red ones!

jere000

Arachnosquire

Yes i know all of this i doubt i will ever get a hot any ways just a distant fantasy.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joshuai, I concur about Sistrurus, but talk about difficult feeders! Alot of people I know have had difficulties keeping them alive, even with captive bred. But they are quite awesome lookin in real life.