Malaysian Earth Tiger (C. thorelli)???

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, does anyone have some info on these guys? I know they are arboreal and grow up 8"+.....
thanks

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
heres alittle til my bro comes on here to give his word lmao

but they arent aboreal they are terrestrial but you can say that they are opportunistic Mark Pennell and some others take trips to malaysia to see these awesome spiders yes they do find them in trees but low to the floor, some on edges of banks by streams, etc. also another species that is highly defensive and fast. medically significant venom heard rumors that a person was bit by a 2 inch sling and left a black spot on his thigh. I regard these as one of my top 5 favorites check out this website its Mark Pennells, good pics of the trip and shows pics of their habitat
www.seriousbite.com

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the info Haploman
hmm they are not aboreal.., that's even better... was that person alright after having that black spot?

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, that's good that he was ok because I'm planning to get one soon. but these guys are expensive...Do you have one, Haploman?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: heres alittle til my bro comes on here to give his word lmao

Originally posted by Haploman
but they arent aboreal they are terrestrial but you can say that they are opportunistic Mark Pennell and some others take trips to malaysia to see these awesome spiders yes they do find them in trees but low to the floor, some on edges of banks by streams, etc. also another species that is highly defensive and fast. medically significant venom heard rumors that a person was bit by a 2 inch sling and left a black spot on his thigh. I regard these as one of my top 5 favorites check out this website its Mark Pennells, good pics of the trip and shows pics of their habitat
www.seriousbite.com
Thanks for that link it was a pretty cool site as far as that tour part went. Especially the picture of the spider that looked like it had built its home in the rafters of a cabin or something. And those cave Centipedes were beautiful.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

awsome site!! u got any more??, they have a caresheet on this site, and if you go to petbugs.com, on the caresheets section they will have a caresheet!

James

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
C. thorelli

This is one of my all-time favorite species! They are "semi-arboreal". Mine make deep burrows at the base of plants (snake or pothos) and/or vertical cork bark their tanks (5 to 10 gal.) with 4"-6" slightly moist peat moss, but they sometimes make a short of "tube web" in the corner of the bark and the tank side too. Either way, at night, they are active and come out onto the vertical cork bark awaiting prey.

They are fast, agile and aggressive, so don't handle and use 12"-18" long thumb tweezers for tank maitenance. Keep 75F-85F at 80% humidity. Feed 1-2 times a week several large crickets, roaches and an occassional anole lizard or pinkie mouse. males and female juveniles and sub-adults, and also adult females sport battleship grey legs and abdomen, dirty green carapace, long redddish-orange hairs on the legs and abdomen, a black chevron pattern on the abdomen and underneath the front legs are some beautiful sheens of blue, green and purple. Mature males are what I refer to as the "Grinch". They lose the those patterns and are lime green overall - Awesome! Adults average 5.5"-6 3/4" legspan with rumors saying females can exceed 8"! There are reports that there exist two color, geographical variations. A dark color morph and a lighter one.

Adults are very rarely offered and quite expensive, but captive-born babies are being produced now more frequently and are more affordable. I have some now along with some rare wild-caught female sub-adults.

Overall, a great display species that I'm a big fan of.

Todd

Last edited:

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
Do I have one lol

I have many slings (courtesy of my bro LaRiz) and subadults, hey Todd I heard a rumor that the light colored morphs could be Phormingnoclus everetti I think I spelled it wrong its on rick wests site check it out under borneo female

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nobody yet has brought up...

that Volker Von Wirth either suspects, or believes that the pet trade Cyriopagopus thorelli is actually Cyriopagopus schioedtei. Any thoughts from those who know?
john
ps hi Jack.

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here's what Todd calls the grinch. A mature male
Cyriopagopus thorelli. I wish these would last as long as the females. They are soooo neat. Look sorta like a huntsman on steroids.
john

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
I was goin to

I was goin to but couldnt remember how to spell it btw Hi John

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice pictures John.. does these guys have different colors? cuz I've been searching and found all kind of different colors on them....

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm...im amazed that out of all the WC spiders i have seen here in the shops...i have yet to see a C.Thorelli...weird huh...
Just heard of a megastore for exotic pets on the mainland state of my island...gotta go check that one out...wonder if ill see any there :)

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jobe
Hmmm...im amazed that out of all the WC spiders i have seen here in the shops...i have yet to see a C.Thorelli...weird huh...
Just heard of a megastore for exotic pets on the mainland state of my island...gotta go check that one out...wonder if ill see any there :)
you can order a spiderling online if you want one, Jobe. but they are expensive though....

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
he lives in another country

theraposa,
he lives in Malaysia. actually he can go in his back yard and get some and even some others lie the P. everetti, C. Thorelli, Im sure even some more kewl ones. JHobe send some this way ;)

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh!! hah :) i didn't noticed he live in Malaysia... lucky him then :)... living in seattle sucks.... the only spider I can find is house spider...

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
got to the burbs

and you can get yourself them hobo spiders lol

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: he lives in another country

Originally posted by Haploman
theraposa,
he lives in Malaysia. actually he can go in his back yard and get some and even some others lie the P. everetti, C. Thorelli, Im sure even some more kewl ones. JHobe send some this way ;)
I may not be too far off from making that a reality Haploman...Ive had some response to my idea for exporting some species. Only a few more things to iron out on the side like vet certs etc... I would prolly want to start with some scorpions which Kugelleger and Steve55 have shown some interest in, and then pave my way from there to tarantulas.

My main aim is to reduce WC tarantulas here...There was an illegal haul of 1000 spiders and many other animals last couple of weeks ago that got busted at the customs.

This is a very new development for me, and i will post and inform Kugg and Steve to see if they are interested in helping if i can get permission on my first shipment.

Will keep the board informed on this :)

cheers ppl ;)