Malaysian Cherry Leg temperament

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is my very first pede, a S. subspinipes Vietnamese Centipede:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-f-Yfoq63U

This girl is mean some days and nice enough other days to let me hold her. Of course I'm not holding her all the time. My friend thinks I'm crazy enough as it is handling this and my Cobalt Blue Tarantula (my first T) as an invert beginner.

Anyways, I was wondering how the Malaysian Cherry Leg variety compares in size and temperament, or are all subspinipes pretty much the same except for color? I'm thinking of getting one.

Penna

Arachnopeon
Hi does this centipede have its fangs clipped? I hope not but if it doesn't I hope you have medical insurance.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
there is a lot of variation among individuals, in the same species from the same locality.

also, temperature and level of satiation and hydration seem to heavily affect the "crankiness" of centipedes

i would suggest you do a hell of a lot more reading before you play with S. subspinipes and Haplopelma tarantulas.... i'm certainly not saying don't do it, per se... but it sounds like you don't have enough reading under your belt to know what a bite is going to do to you... and let me tell you, some freaky sh-stuff can happen that might make you panic.

oh, and to be clear... i don't mean that you don't know they could hurt if they bite you... i mean what local and systemic affects are described in hobby and medical literature... what symptoms are dangerous... what you can ignore. you should probably look into blood and skin infections from bacteria while you are at it, so you can spot differences between venom and infection effects

unfortunately it just isn't prudent for me to hand out medical advice, even if i was qualified, which i am most certainly not =P

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi does this centipede have its fangs clipped? I hope not but if it doesn't I hope you have medical insurance.
Of course it doesn't have its fangs clipped. I realized that it doesn't bite unless it notices a threat in front of it. Would you attack the "ground" that you're on for no reason? As long as you are slow and careful not to make any quick movements or disturbances (they detect vibrations), I don't see why it would perceive your arms as anything but an oddly textured tree trunk. This is my first pede, or one of the very first venomous inverts I've ever had, along with my H. lividum Cobalt Blue Tarantula, which I also handle every once in a while when she decides to leave her burrow. It has been a few months, and I've yet to be bitten by either one. I am well aware of the consequences though and have read quite a bit about subspinipes and lividum venom, including all the bite reports here.

Also, I usually don't handle them on warmer days.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Of course it doesn't have its fangs clipped. I realized that it doesn't bite unless it notices a threat in front of it. Would you attack the "ground" that you're on for no reason? As long as you are slow and careful not to make any quick movements or disturbances (they detect vibrations), I don't see why it would perceive your arms as anything but an oddly textured tree trunk. This is my first pede, or one of the very first venomous inverts I've ever had, along with my H. lividum Cobalt Blue Tarantula, which I also handle every once in a while when she decides to leave her burrow. It has been a few months, and I've yet to be bitten by either one. I am well aware of the consequences though and have read quite a bit about subspinipes and lividum venom, including all the bite reports here.
hmm... unless there are people out there who aren't online i can preeeety safely say i am one of the leading uh, "experts" on centipede handling and definitely one of the world leading hobbyists for getting bit by centipedes (over 300 times so far) and i can completely assure you that centipedes randomly bite for no readily apparent reason

granted, this is not that usual for some individuals... some individuals i have never seen bite anything but food... but some are so cranky i don't bother even trying to pick them up to play with them

about ~25% of my adult-ish centipedes WILL in fact bite the ground or anything else... it seems like being thirsty and hungry makes them more inclined to be bite happy... but some are just weirdos

the chemo- and thermo- receptors that the centipede possesses tell it clearly that i am not a tree, btw.

again, don't get me wrong... i am not saying don't hold centipedes... but you have basically picked the "worst" species to hold and it seems like you don't quite get that.

also, i can't say anything for anybody else... but i don't plan on going to the hospital for any centipede bites i take on the hand or lower arm or legs... but if a supspinipes tagged me on the head or neck or possibly trunk region then i might consider going if i thought my life was in danger

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also, I usually don't handle them on warmer days.

me neither, unless i am looking to venom test. heh.

edit:

also, i have seen ppl free handle cherries w/o getting bit (and obviously you have too) so it is not impossible... but you basically have to make peace with the fact odds are ifyou keep holding it long enough you *will* get bit.

hmm, though it was over a year before i did... and only after i stopped following all my handling rules (feed first, only when cool, abandon any attempts you geta bad feeling about, etc)

editedit:
oh yeah, and check this thread out
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=48720

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
me neither, unless i am looking to venom test. heh.

edit:

also, i have seen ppl free handle cherries w/o getting bit (and obviously you have too) so it is not impossible... but you basically have to make peace with the fact odds are ifyou keep holding it long enough you *will* get bit.

hmm, though it was over a year before i did... and only after i stopped following all my handling rules (feed first, only when cool, abandon any attempts you geta bad feeling about, etc)

editedit:
oh yeah, and check this thread out
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=48720
I've read some of your posts before and subspinipes is a lot worse than heros? I did read that subspinipes is the only centipede species that has been responsible for a death, a 7-year old girl in the Philippines bitten in the head. Call me stupid then, haha. I was hesitant to handle her for the first month, but what happened was I was cleaning out the tank with gloves and a pair of tongs, when a friend came in the room and asked me a question. I must've spaced out for a bit, because the next thing I knew, she was on my gloves and crawling onto my forearm already. Ever since then, I've let her crawl around on my arms every once in a while, probably once every week to 2 weeks or so. Thank you very much for the thread and your warnings and advice.

By the way, would you by any chance have experience with Babycurus jacksoni? I am considering getting this scorpion.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've read some of your posts before and subspinipes is a lot worse than heros? I did read that subspinipes is the only centipede species that has been responsible for a death, a 7-year old girl in the Philippines bitten in the head. Call me stupid then, haha. I was hesitant to handle her for the first month, but what happened was I was cleaning out the tank with gloves and a pair of tongs, when a friend came in the room and asked me a question. I must've spaced out for a bit, because the next thing I knew, she was on my gloves and crawling onto my forearm already. Ever since then, I've let her crawl around on my arms every once in a while, probably once every week to 2 weeks or so. Thank you very much for the thread and your warnings and advice.
i suspect that the worst subspinipes bite is considerably worse than the worst heros bite (heh, remember when i wrote that to you Syiware?). but... there are tons of variables. each person reacts differently. each centipede potentially has a very slightly different recipe it cooks venom to. possibly the prey a cent eats give it different raw materials for venom... dunno.

i have been bitten by two centipedes that sucked... Ethmostigmus trigonopodus, yellow legs "african giant yellowleg centipede" and Scolopendra morsitans, " blackhead Tanzanian tiger centipede". both of those species have locality members that i have been bitten by 50+ times with no real negative affect... "Egyptian emerald cents" are S. morsitans and "Bluering leg cents" are Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (as far as our best hobbyists have been able to determine). the emeralds and the bluelegs don't really do anything to me... the yellowlegs and the blackhead tigers sucked so bad i have been afraid to try their venom again (which isn't very scientific of me... curse weaknesses of the flesh!)

By the way, would you by any chance have experience with Babycurus jacksoni? I am considering getting this scorpion.
tropical type scorpions require disproportionate amount of care for me to keep and thus i don't have much experience with them. pretty things though.

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
why handle them at all, if you want a ped that you can handle, buy a hamster or a ratt:)

anyway, when you handle spiders, centipedes and scorpions, you ALSO risk the safty of the animal!?

Maybe you guys think it is cool, something I can understand to some degree, but I dont understand why many people handel their arachnids or centipeds regulary!?
(sorry if the english is not perfect)

Cheers

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As long as you are slow and careful not to make any quick movements or disturbances (they detect vibrations), I don't see why it would perceive your arms as anything but an oddly textured tree trunk.
You guys crack up! You don't think a centipede (or tarantula) who can detect a bug walking or fly landing in the vicinity can sense you? You don't think an invert can feel you body heat?

I'm pretty sure he's bathing in your warmth, and counting your artery pulses like a beating drum.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i totally pass on the handling side of them for many reasons personally but I will say dude you might wanna check out the bite reports then come back to this thread...

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well let's see.........my hongkong giant(8") detected my finger for a potential threat:eek:(accident ofcourse) and uh..you don't want to get bit,it's really not pleasent{D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
why handle them at all, if you want a ped that you can handle, buy a hamster or a ratt:)

anyway, when you handle spiders, centipedes and scorpions, you ALSO risk the safty of the animal!?

Maybe you guys think it is cool, something I can understand to some degree, but I dont understand why many people handel their arachnids or centipeds regulary!?
(sorry if the english is not perfect)

Cheers
perhaps your methods of handling or whatever differ from mine... but three years and THOUSANDS of handling experiences and i have yet to hurt a bug in a handling situation. seems a fairly hollow argument to me. of course, i could just be head and shoulders smarter than everyone else...?

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You guys crack up! You don't think a centipede (or tarantula) who can detect a bug walking or fly landing in the vicinity can sense you? You don't think an invert can feel you body heat?

I'm pretty sure he's bathing in your warmth, and counting your artery pulses like a beating drum.
I have a B. jacksoni now. It's been cool so far, pretty active in the evenings. Getting that Malaysian Cherry Leg soon.

I know about invertebrate chemo and mechanoreception already. I am a biology graduate. I'm oversimplifying when I say they view me as a "tree trunk". What I mean is that they don't see me as a threat when they're walking across my forearms and when I touch them in the backside, they have almost never turned around in an attempt to bite, except for the day I first got my H. lividum, but that was barely a bite and she was probably stressed out from shipping. They'd rather continue moving forward when I touch them. However, I handle them based on how they act to disturbances. If they're fast and skittish, forget about it. If it's a cooler day and they've been fed recently, they seem to be slower and could care less. Either way, they never care or budge an inch when I'm working in the terrarium, whether I'm cleaning their waste and leftover food scraps or water dish. The only one that does seem to care is my H. spinifer, but she never does anything. I have to actually put my finger in between a pincer to have her pinch me. I probably handle her the most since she's the most docile.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm aware that handling stresses them out, and I don't handle them as frequently as you think I do.

I finally caught my H. lividum outside of her burrow after 3 weeks of not seeing her, by the way:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3134/sa503622wf1.jpg
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5256/sa503623nd0.jpg
Her burrow: http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/1536/sa503624ey2.jpg

She went back in shortly after that. :(

Last edited: