Malaysia, Taman Negara

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Greetings everyone,

This is the start of what will be a very large post with lots of photos. I will be adding to it every day or two for quite awhile so that the photos will span multiple pages.

I spent six nights last week at Taman Negara, a huge national park that is located in the centre of peninsular Malaysia. This is one of my favourite places and I have visited it a number of times. Taman Negara protects the largest extent of untouched rainforest that remains on the peninsula.

This region of Southeast Asia is thought to have someone of the oldest of all rainforests so it is not surprising that diversity of about everything is high. I photographed nearly 80 species of butterflies in those few days all within 9km of Kuala Tahan, the park headquarters. I saw another 30+ species that were not cooperative for photos. At night, I found many strange and beautiful moths at lights around the accommodation area. Invertebrates were abundant within the forest and I found many during both day and night walks.

June is a month that is about midway between the dry months of the start of the year and the monsoon of Oct-Dec. I experienced some rain each day and on a couple of days, there were heavy afternoon downpours. Trails were wet and slippery but I saw few frogs at night and also very few mosquitos. Leeches, though, were numerous and a nuisance. My socks were often dripping with blood after an all-day forest trek.

Taman Negara has an excellent infrastructure. Tracks were well marked so there was no need for a guide. I loved to walk many kms into the forest. Once I walked beyond 2-3 kms from the headquarters, I rarely saw any other humans on the track. If I remained quiet and listened, I could hear the special animals of the park. I loved to hear the beautiful melodic songs of the White-handed Gibbons that sang each morning. Sometimes, I heard the loud “whooping” of Siamang, the largest member of the Gibbons. Other sights and sounds included the calls of Great Argus, Banded/Garnet Pittas, Rhinoceros/Helmeted Hornbills and various mammals. Taman Negara has a healthy population of Tiger, Leopard, Asian Elephants, and a large forest buffalo, Malay Tapir, Sun Bear and others. Unfortunately, most of these are shy. Footprints or piles of dung (elephant) were usually the only indication that the large animals were in the area. I sometimes heard growls of unseen mammals and then heard them run deeper into the forest but rarely saw the source of the racket. Once I had a fright when I heard a loud grunt followed by the sight of a Bearded Pig that bolted across the trail a few meters in front of me.

My trip to Taman Negara began with a 3-hour bus trip from Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Tahan. At Kuala Tahan, there was a break for an hour followed by a 3-hour boat trip up the Tembeling River to the park headquarters at Kuala Tahan. I stayed in a hostel at the Mutiara Resort that is situated on the border of the national park. This was excellent value and it included a buffet breakfast at the resort's restaurant. The hostel was air-conditioned so was comfortable for sleeping at night. Temperatures at Taman Negara ranged from a high in the mid-30s C to a low of mid-20s C at night. Humidity was always high so a walk in the park felt like a walk in a green house.

... now, the photos.

The best way to reach Taman Negara was by boat from the jetty at Kuala Tembeling.

The journey upriver initially passed through cleared pastures or areas with secondary growth:

After about an hour, hills with primary forest came into view. I sometimes saw Oriental Pied and Black Hornbills in these areas as they flew across the river.

After three hours, the boat arrived at Taman Negara:

These are views of the village that was situated on the opposite bank from the national park. A road has been built to this village but the trip by road is not nearly as scenic as the trip up the river. This village has grown massively since my last visit in 1998. Now, there are a number of floating restaurants and shops on the opposite bank. Water taxis ferried the tourists back and forth between the park and the village.

One morning, I climbed Bukit Teresik, a hill located not far from Kuala Tahan. The hill was only 400m in height but the climb was a steep and sweaty one. The view from the summit was superb and well worth the effort. This is a photo into the centre of the park and of Gunning Tahan, the tallest mountain in peninsular Malaysia. The adventurous can trek to the summit of the mountain but it is a hard 6-7 day trek through the rainforest. Gunung Tahan is the distant peak on the left of this photo:

I often walked on a track along the Tahan River. This year, the river was muddy for a few days near the park headquarters. There had been heavy rain in the mountains that feed this river and there was obviously some soil erosion underway.

After a few nice days at the end of the week, the water cleared and looked like tea due to tannins from the leaves. The river was full of fish of the Cyprinid family. Fish like Tiger Barbs and relatives were abundant. This area near Lata Berkoh (a small waterfall 9km from the headquarters) was particular nice.

Taman Negara is home to the tallest species of tree in Southeast Asia. These trees are called Tualangs (Koompassia excelsa) and they remind me a little of the giant redwoods of California.

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Arachnids and unusual invertebrates

Spider 1: This was an interesting little jumping spider.

Spider 2: I don't think that I have ever seen a yellow spider before. This was a big spider that was lowering itself from a tree. It was about at face height when I almost walked into it one night. Once disturbed, it turned and climbed back to the branches.

Spider 3: Spiders like this were numerous on the forest floor:

Spider 4: This one had an unusual pattern on the abdomen:

Whip Scorpion: I saw of few of these on the ground and on trees at night. These were wary and quick. They were hard to approach for photos.

Termites were abundant. I often came across trails like this:

This pentatomid was huge:

I don't know the family but these grasshoppers were shaped much like the monkey hoppers.

This bizarre fly was one of my favourite sightings. Unfortunately, I only saw this single individual and managed to take one quick photo before it vanished.

Caterpillar 1:

Caterpillar 2:

Caterpillar 3:

Caterpillar 4: This one appears to have met an unpleasant fate.

Centipede:

Giant Millipede:

This is an Asian member of family Derbidae. What a strange face!

A big Reduviid:

Planthoppers:

Another really strange Hemipteroid:

Cerambycid?

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, nice pictures. Cant wait for the next "batch".
Anyways, ill help with some id's:
-spider 1 is a male Portia sp. (very lucky) :D
-spider 2 and 3 are both Sparassidae, but cant help you with the genus.
-spider 4 is also a Sparassidae, and most probably Heteropoda boiei.
-whip scorpion is probably Thelyphonus sp.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those are some amazing photos you have there and so lucky to have seen all those creatures!! mann!!! Can i come with next time? lol is it at all dangerous? the people? especially while looking for bugs?
Man.
One more destination to add to the list.

:D
Crysta.

dizzychef

Arachnopeon
Amazing, still the same as i remember.

Actually the best way to reach the jetty is by driving there. Much faster ;) Though you can enjoy the river scenary by boat.

Hmm, waiting for picture of the infamous leeches there.

Anyway thanks for sharing and good luck on your journey!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Excellent photos and thanks for sharing!South East Asia is very high on my places to visit!
-Chris

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, all, for the feedback and for the identifications, Tarantula_Hawk and Rick. I did not even recognize the Portia sp. as a spider when I first saw it. It looked so odd. I have attached another photo of it.

Crysta,
Malaysia is a very safe place. It really is interesting with a mixed population. About half of the 60 million people there are Malays. They are almost all Muslim. The other half is split between Indians (Hindu) and Chinese (Buddhist). The three groups of people have lived together for a long time and they all seem to be tolerant of each other's beliefs and customs.

Walking alone in the park again was very safe. The biggest risk would be slipping and falling when crossing creekbeds. The banks of these were usually wet clay and it felt a little like walking on ice. I fell a few times. The animals were well behaved and generally don't like people. There are no known attacks by Tigers although elephants have (rarely) killed silly tourists.

Dizzychef,
I have hired cars and left them at the parking lot of Kuala Tembeling before but that seemed like such a waste to have the car there and me out in the national park. It is possible now to drive all the way to the village just across the river from the park but that would not be nearly as interesting as the boat trip.

When were you there?

Regards,
David

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the the following mantid was one of the most interesting insects that I encountered. I found this one on the night of my arrival. It was climbing up the wall of a cabin. If it had been in the leaf litter or on a dead branch of a shrub, I probably would not have spotted it at all. What amazing camouflage!

Mantids were abundant and diverse. Most were either green or brown and rather typical in appearance.

Others had more usual shapes:

... I love the eyes of this one. Oriental?

This mantid was tiny. When I first spotted it, it was standing upright in a normal mantid posture. When it realized that I was looking at it, it lay flat and looked much like a tiny stick on the leaf.

This one was a juvenile that stood with it abdomen curled up and forward.

Katydids were also abundant. I saw the largest katydid that I have ever encountered one morning near the reception of Mutiara Resort. It was green but had a standard sort of shape. The only thing odd was its enormus size.

This was the most common katydid that I saw around lights at night:

... another species:

... and another. I should have taken a dorsal shot since this one was much wider than most katydids.

... a different looking katydid:

This cockroach was huge. I found it and others on the trunks of trees within the rainforest.

In this humid forest, fungi was everywhere. Some of the fungi were colourful and large like these:

These lovely fungi remind be of wine goblets.

... tiny red fungus growing next to some recently fallen fruits.

Various gingers were one of the dominant plant families of the forest floor. Some of these were flowering.

... some ginger plants were tall and had broad leaves:

Last edited:

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice.:clap:
I'm no mantid expert, but i can say that the first one is a Deroplatys sp. (maybe D. desiccata) and the fourth one (with the white spots) is a Rhombodera sp.
Hopefully someone can tell you the rest.

dizzychef

Arachnopeon
Hi David,

Nice shots on the mantids!

I don't remember the exact date, but i was there around 7-8 years ago. The pictures of the jetty was still the same with the floating restaurant and sampans as i recall vaguely. I was living just up the road from the picture in 1 of the chalets.

You seem to really enjoy it. Keep us coming with the shots!

Best wishes.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Nice.:clap:
I'm no mantid expert, but i can say that the first one is a Deroplatys sp. (maybe D. desiccata) and the fourth one (with the white spots) is a Rhombodera sp.
Hopefully someone can tell you the rest.
I agree. After the Deroplatys it looks like a Hierudola sp.(?). The pentatomid is phenomenal!

Great series, David! If you're independently wealthy, I'd make an excellent pack mule on you future excursions;)

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very nice! thanks for sharing, too bad you did not get another shot of the stilt fly, one of my dream bugs to take a picture of one day.

Martin

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks again for the feedback and especially for the identifications.

I agree. If you're independently wealthy
I wish! I would love to travel all the time.

What do they call the boat? it has unique style :)
I took my son to Taman Negara when he was young back in 1998 for an adventure trip. At that time, he was playing the computer game, "Age of Empires". I think that he called these boats "tiremes". That's the name that I associate with them now. :D

Regards,
David

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Odonates

I saw a variety of dragonflies and damselflies along the creeks and trails. Here are a few that I managed to photograph:

This one had a strange territorial(?) behaviour. Two would hove and face each other and then slowly ascent to a height of 5m or so.

This one had an odd body shape with wings much longer than the length of the abdomen:

I only saw these along small streams within the forest. These had lovely wings that were a shimmering green colour in flight:

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Butterflies, Papilionidae -- Swallowtails

... now, one of my favourite groups of animals.

I had hoped to photograph a variety of reptiles while at Taman Negara but this proved to be not possible. I suppose that the snakes were waiting on the frogs to emerge and the frogs are awaiting the heavy rains of September. I decided to concentrate on the butterflies that were everywhere. I was just staggered by both the diversity and the numbers. Around noon, I sometimes walked to Lubok Simpon, a sandy bank and swimming area. Butterflies often landed there in large, mixed-species group. The colour was just amazing. Also, if I stood still, the butterflies would land on me and my equipment. It seems that they liked to lick salty things and my clothes, backpack and camera bag were perpetually wet and smelly with perspiration. It felt a little like walking through a butterfly house at a zoo with so many butterflies hovering around me.

I have many butterfly photos to post so will follow the family sequence.

Common Mormon (Papilio polytes) -- I saw a few of these lovely swallowtails everyday.

Banded Peacock (Papilio palinurus) -- I only saw a single individual of this species. It stopped for a drink by the river just as a boat passed by and produced a big wave. This frightened off the swallowtail and it never returned.

Common Rose (Pachliopta aristolochiae) -- these were common and beautiful swallowtails with a red body.

... mating pair:

Great Mormon (Papilio memnon) -- I saw a few of these each day.

Common Jay (Graphium doson) -- these were the most abundant swallowtail on sandbanks and rocks in the riverbed.

A Malay kid took his shoes off and left them near the water's edge. It was not long before the shoes were covered with several species of swallowtails and other butterflies. Swallowtails included a few Common Bluebottles (Graphium sarpedon), many Common Jay (Graphium doson) and one Five-bar Swallowtail (Pathysa antiphates).

Tailed Jay (Graphium agamemnon) -- These were the least common of the Graphium swallowtails.

Five-bar Swallowtail (Pathysa antiphates) -- I only saw one of these lovely swallowtails. It was cooperative and it returned over and over to lick the damp sand.

Green Dragontail (Lamproptera meges) -- What a bizarre swallowtail! It was shaped much like some of the metal marks and that was what I thought that it must be until I looked it up in my references.

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nympahlidae

Chocolate Pansy (Junonia iphita) – These butterflies were common in open areas around the Mutiara Resort.

(Pantoporia hordonia) – a few seen around the Mutiara Resort and at light gaps in the forest.

There are a number of very similar “aeroplanes” that overlap in distribution. As you can see, they look almost identical. The main differences have to do with the spots and mid-stripe. I saw these butterflies often and probably encountered additional species. I only recognized the differences when I examined the photos on the computer.

Common Sergeant (Athyma perius)

Lance Sergeant (Athyma pravara)

Colour Sergeant (Athyma nefte)

Jacintha Eggfly (Hypolimnas bolina) -- I saw males along the forest edge on a couple of occasions.

Wavy Maplet (Chersonesia rahria) – These small butterflies were common in the open areas near Mutiara Resort and at light gaps in the forest.

Malay Viscount (Tanaecia pelea) – I saw these occasionally within the forest. They often landed on leaves that were sunlit or on the bark of trees. They remind me a little of the (Hamadryas) from the neotropcis.

Straight-line Mapwing (Cyrestis nivea) – I rarely saw these butterflies except along the Tahan River. They dropped to the sandbars around noon each day.

Little Map (Cyrestis themire) – This species was usually hard to photograph since it would normally land on the undersurface of leaves.

Black-tipped Archduke (Lexias dirtea) – I really enjoyed these beautiful butterflies. They seemed to be confined to the forest interior. I usually saw them on the ground or perched on the upper surface of leaves within a meter or two of the ground.

Archduke (Lexias pardalis) – I only saw these on a few occasions. They were invariably sighted on the forest floor.

Yellow Archduke (Lexias canescens) – Very similar to the preceding species. This one lacks the green pattern on the lower wings.

Horsefield’s Baron (Tanaecia iapis) – Isn’t the first one below stunning? It was an absolutely gorgeous individual that must have just emerged since its wings were in perfect condition. The second photo was more typical of the butterflies that I encountered. This species would either land on trunks or on the upper surface of leaves. It invariably held its wings open when resting.

Commander (Moduza procris) – I only saw these along the Tahan River when they joined the mixed-species flocks to sip moisture and dissolved salts.

Tawny Rajah (Charaxes bernardus) – this was a big, fast flying butterfly. I saw it occasionally in the forest where it was hard to photograph. It was much more cooperative when it joined the mixed-species flocks along the Tahan River.

Cruiser (Vindula dejone) – These were big and beautiful butterflies. They were common at noon on sandbars along the Tahan River.

Banded Yeoman (Cirrochroa orissa) – I only saw a few of these. The first one below was licking my sweaty camera bag.

Malay Yeoman (Cirrochroa malaya) – I only saw this species once. It landed on a wet camera bag.

Rustic (Cupha erymanthis) – I initially thought that this and (C. orrisa) were the same species. They were quite similar and found in the same habitats.

Jewelled Nawab (Polyura delphis) – I was only able to photograph this tattered individual. I did see a couple of others racing by. This was a big butterfly that was a powerful flier.

Plain Nawab (Polyura hebe) – I saw a few along the Tahan River and sometimes at flowers near the Mutiara Resort. It was another fast flying species.