Making fruitfly mix?

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
I am wanting to make my own fruitfly mix for 2 reasons 1 its cheaper and 2 the local stores charge to much. Here its aprox 12ish $$.

So my question here is do I need these ingredients to make it?
I have been looking at unnamed websites.

These are the ingredients:
Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin (BLUE)

Rep-Cal Ultrafine Calcium with Vitamin D3 (PINK)

Mite Control Powder

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I am wanting to make my own fruitfly mix for 2 reasons 1 its cheaper and 2 the local stores charge to much. Here its aprox 12ish $$.

So my question here is do I need these ingredients to make it?
I have been looking at unnamed websites.

These are the ingredients:
Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin (BLUE)

Rep-Cal Ultrafine Calcium with Vitamin D3 (PINK)

Mite Control Powder

What do you mean fruit fly mix? Do you mean a supplement powder to add to the fruit flies before feeding to a reptile or amphibian? If so, what species?

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
What do you mean fruit fly mix? Do you mean a supplement powder to add to the fruit flies before feeding to a reptile or amphibian? If so, what species?

No website suggested these items to be mixed in the mixture.. let me double check to be sure if it was supposed to be mixed or maybe added for the tarantula...

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
No website suggested these items to be mixed in the mixture.. let me double check to be sure if it was supposed to be mixed or maybe added for the tarantula...
Tarantulas don't need their food dusted with supplements

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas don't need their food dusted with supplements
I know this ;-) I was thinking maybe for the fruitflies but I don't believe they need it either and I read that the mite stuff is to keep mites from forming in the fruitfly mixture.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I know this ;-) I was thinking maybe for the fruitflies but I don't believe they need it either and I read that the mite stuff is to keep mites from forming in the fruitfly mixture.
A commercial mix for fruit fly Culture media is unlikely to be significantly more expensive than making it yourself.

I am quite cheap but will buy commercial mix because it's much easier then trying to mix it yourself and if you're using quality ingredients you're likely going to spend the same amount to make it yourself.

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
A commercial mix for fruit fly Culture media is unlikely to be significantly more expensive than making it yourself.

I am quite cheap but will buy commercial mix because it's much easier then trying to mix it yourself and if you're using quality ingredients you're likely going to spend the same amount to make it yourself.
Sorry as in making it myself I mean to buy the media 🙊 sorry didn't clarify

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon

Can a mixture in a container be refrigerated till its used?

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
I use Repashy's Superfly, fruit fly culture mix. In the powdered form, I keep it in the fridge for freshness. It's affordable, easy to use, and fortified with all the necessary nutrients for a healthy colony of fruit flies. In my experience, making a culture media from other ingredients instead of Repashy, e.g. powdered milk and instant potatoes, ended up crashing or becoming contaminated with fungi or bacteria 25% of the time. Since I switched to Repashy 8 months ago I have not had a single culture crash, and I make 3-4 cultures a month to feed my dart frogs. Also, I have found using mason jars is more environmentally friendly, readily available, and reduces so much of the plastic waste. I swap out the metal lid for a coffee filter, and keep the filter in place with the metal ring for the lid. Hope this helps, and let me know if you have additional questions.
Cheers,
-Kym

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
I use Repashy's Superfly, fruit fly culture mix. In the powdered form, I keep it in the fridge for freshness. It's affordable, easy to use, and fortified with all the necessary nutrients for a healthy colony of fruit flies. In my experience, making a culture media from other ingredients instead of Repashy, e.g. powdered milk and instant potatoes, ended up crashing or becoming contaminated with fungi or bacteria 25% of the time. Since I switched to Repashy 8 months ago I have not had a single culture crash, and I make 3-4 cultures a month to feed my dart frogs. Also, I have found using mason jars is more environmentally friendly, readily available, and reduces so much of the plastic waste. I swap out the metal lid for a coffee filter, and keep the filter in place with the metal ring for the lid. Hope this helps, and let me know if you have additional questions.
Cheers,
-Kym
Thanks. That is actually a good idea 💡 👌 with the jars.
Do you any mite powder around the jars to keep mites from forming in it?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I don't with my cultures. I Keep them apart from each other and the other inverts just to be safe.

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
I do not use any mite powder in my cultures, especially since it has not been an issue since I switched to the Repashy. Also, I noticed mites in some of the commercially available fruit fly cultures sold in the nationwide pet store chain- so be careful which cultures you select to seed the new culture.

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
I do not use any mite powder in my cultures, especially since it has not been an issue since I switched to the Repashy. Also, I noticed mites in some of the commercially available fruit fly cultures sold in the nationwide pet store chain- so be careful which cultures you select to seed the new culture.
I've bought a lot of already made fruitfly cultures from small petshops but honestly never thought of mites in them or getting in them.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
No, you don't need those additives. Basically a fruit fly culture needs water, sugar (usually in the form of cooked fruit), agar, some sort of grain meal (typically wheat germ or cornmeal), and a fungicide. That will give fruit flies all the nutrition they need to be healthy. Reptiles need some extra shit because they have bones, so the additives are for them. The mite stuff is optional.