Making fake bamboo

Abyss

Arachnoknight
As the title suggests, this is basicaly how u can make fake bamboo be it for enclosures or other use.

These are the BASIC steps that i found via a quick google search and reading some info on some forums an msg boards etc. theres lots of youtube videos as well.

Thnx to @viper69 for putting me up to it by sparking my curiosity lol

1) buy whatever size PVC pipe u want to use
2) buy jug of acetone
3) buy heavy grit sandpaper (i suggest 220 or heavier prob)
4) for color, i keep seeing using schelac but im not sold that would be safe for T's so use ur imagination here and let us know what u come up with
5) basically use the acetone and a towel to clean ALL writing off of entire length of pipe. Clean entire pipe as well to remove any chemicals from the production process.
6) use sandpaper over the whole pipe and ONLY along the legth of pipe vertically to create the "wood grain look"
7) use a torch (or heat gun) to literally burn the pipe creating the look/color of the nodes.
8) use torch or heat gun to slightly heat the "node" by spinning the pipe while heating so that its plyable and compress the pipe causing the node to bulge out.
9) schelac (or whatever u decide to use for color) the entire pipe. What i read suggests multiple coats to deepen the color.

All this was found via a quick google search of "fake bamboo from pvc" and each insteuction varied, i just simplified the instructions as best i could.

Plz add i fo to this thread as you try it and discover new materials to use or techniques etc.
Sorry no pics or links but i was in a hurry

Thnx

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
I used that method to make bamboo inlet pipe on a turtle tank. (I'll try to snap a pic in a bit) Used 4" pvc sanded the writing off, used a candle to make the nodes. Used "Testers" model paints to get a green, live bamboo look.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I'd rather use real bamboo.

But then again, I live in norther Virginia and can frequently find it growing in people's yards.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I used that method to make bamboo inlet pipe on a turtle tank. (I'll try to snap a pic in a bit) Used 4" pvc sanded the writing off, used a candle to make the nodes. Used "Testers" model paints to get a green, live bamboo look.
Awesome look forward to it, im curious if we can get lots of good ideas an methods from various members.
I have yet to try, @viper69 peaked my interest tho haha

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I'd rather use real bamboo.

But then again, I live in norther Virginia and can frequently find it growing in people's yards.
Agreed but issue folks were having when using it for other purposes like decorative fenses an furnature etc is that its natural and wears out/decays over a short period of time. Using PVC makes it last for MUCH longer

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
find some scrap pvc and play around with the candle and such. It's pretty easy and it's fun. I did it outside btw, it stinks.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Agreed but issue folks were having when using it for other purposes like decorative fenses an furnature etc is that its natural and wears out/decays over a short period of time. Using PVC makes it last for MUCH longer
gotcha.

I was thinking of T enclosures, bird perches, and other uses where the organic solution is preferable.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All this was found via a quick google search of "fake bamboo from pvc"
What?! You mean my "search google" advice that I FREELY give out, without wanting something in return, is actually TRUE? :D:cool:Well golly gee, I can't believe that suggestion actually works for people. I thought it was merely an URBAN LEGEND :smug:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome look forward to it, im curious if we can get lots of good ideas an methods from various members.
I have yet to try, @viper69 peaked my interest tho haha
I'm on the wrong computer, but there's TONS of info out there on this. I was amazed at how good people made PVC look like bamboo. Of course not one of them used this for exotic pets that I ever observed.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
What?! You mean my "search google" advice that I FREELY give out, without wanting something in return, is actually TRUE? :D:cool:Well golly gee, I can't believe that suggestion actually works for people. I thought it was merely an URBAN LEGEND :smug:
Perhaps im just like one of the peeps who say they saw bigfoot???
Lol but seriously, yup, u were rite. Theres more pics/instructions/info out there then i knew what to do with lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol but seriously, yup, u were rite. Theres more pics/instructions/info out there then i knew what to do with lol
I know I was right. See, the thing is, I wouldn't tell you or anyone else to go search Google if:

1. I hadn't already done it myself-- which I had on this topic long before EulersK mentioned me recently
2. I felt the person was capable of finding the same info I had with a bit of searching, just like I did.

Now you too are a Google Scholar on this topic ;) Which is far better than relying on me.

Teach a man to fish..... =)

I told you the pictures were VERY impressive! :smug:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I know I was right. See, the thing is, I wouldn't tell you or anyone else to go search Google if:

1. I hadn't already done it myself-- which I had on this topic long before EulersK mentioned me recently
2. I felt the person was capable of finding the same info I had with a bit of searching, just like I did.

Now you too are a Google Scholar on this topic ;) Which is far better than relying on me.

Teach a man to fish..... =)

I told you the pictures were VERY impressive! :smug:
Absolutly, most looked great pal