Making artificial treebark?

hunter4528

Arachnopeon
So my slings arent ready for the final enclosures but im already looking into how i want them an i hate how expensive cork bark is and was thinking of how i could make my own log that would have a removable drinking cup for my versicolor but not sure what to use i have seen videos where they use foam to create a dirt background covering the foam in sealer and applying the dirt then letting it dry and i seen one where they make a hide log background for lizards but they used paints and i was wondering if that would have any effect on a tarantula

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The methods people use to make backgrounds for dart frogs will be safe for tarantulas as well. Go on YouTube there are a billion videos on making a background.

I will say, it will cost more to make a background than to buy cork bark, particularly if you only need a little bit of cork bark

hunter4528

Arachnopeon
I just like the idea of making something over spending 20$ on a piece of bark. I had the idea for arboreal to make a tree trunk going up like ive seen with the hide inside but i wanted to also make a broken branch coming off with a spot to set a water cup in the end hidden almost to just give the environment a nicer look, and funny enough ill cringe at buying a 20$ of bark but 50$ in supplies i see it as a fun project. i was just looking into how to seal everything so far it looks like any acrylic spray will work as its acrylic just need to let it cure an vent off well before using it.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I just like the idea of making something over spending 20$ on a piece of bark. I had the idea for arboreal to make a tree trunk going up like ive seen with the hide inside but i wanted to also make a broken branch coming off with a spot to set a water cup in the end hidden almost to just give the environment a nicer look, and funny enough ill cringe at buying a 20$ of bark but 50$ in supplies i see it as a fun project. i was just looking into how to seal everything so far it looks like any acrylic spray will work as its acrylic just need to let it cure an vent off well before using it.
You can also use aquarium silicone to seal it up as well.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I’ve done this many many times. Get Decent insulation styrofoam (the pink kind) carve it and paint it with a dry lock and acrylic mix. The result is akin to a custom exo terra background. It’s easier than you may think.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I’ve done this many many times. Get Decent insulation styrofoam (the pink kind) carve it and paint it with a dry lock and acrylic mix. The result is akin to a custom exo terra background. It’s easier than you may think.
It can look really nice of you have the skill to do it. I, however, do not in any way have that skill. I'm commissioning my wife to do the background work next time I'm making a foam background.