Making a spreadsheet

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm looking to get my mind off of stuff, and what better way than to indulge in some spreadsheets?

In short, I'm making a husbandry Excel spreadsheet. This will also be usable on mobile devices. I know that there is already an app for tracking, but I'm looking to do more (and have it transfer easier between devices and people). I can implement just about anything, so I ask: What would you like to see? I'm having a bit of a brain block on this, and multiple eyes are better than one. Here's what I've got so far. It mostly focuses on molting, since I don't think feeding is particularly difficult to keep track of.
  • OW/NW sheets with another master sheet put in alphabetical order
  • Average time between molts
  • Average percent growth between molts
  • Days since last meal
  • Total spider count, with breakdowns on M/F/U
  • Further breakdowns on terrestrial, arboreal, and burrower with M/F/U on each
... and, that's about all. Like I said, I can do just about anything. I use Excel on a daily basis for both school and work, so I'm able to implement just about any feature. I just don't know what else to add.

I know that some of the information isn't particularly useful, but I think it'd be interesting to see some of these metrics. Especially when comparing it between genera.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I track molts, acquisitions, and rehousings on a Google Calendar.

I used to track feedings, but got out of the habit.

The nice thing about a calendar is that the data is immediately sorted by date, and so long as I stick with the same keywords I can find all the entries on any given T.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What about tracking date acquired/hatched, acquisition source, lineage?
Not a bad idea. The date acquired is actually already built into the molting schedule - there is a cell to input the acquisition date and it will not count as a molt. But I didn't consider rearing sacs. So...

A separate sheet for sacs reared:
  • Date of pairing
  • Date of drop
  • Date of pull
  • Dates from egg, EWL, 1i, and 2i
  • Days between each of the steps above
  • Number of sacs a particular spider has had

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What would you like to see?
I would include rehousing dates.

My tarantula spreadsheet is pretty simple:
  • I have a master page with a listing of each individual, its species, size, sex, date of acquisition, where I got it, and how much I paid.
  • I have a second page with M/F/U totals (for my forum list).
  • Then I have individual pages for each tarantula noting significant events, such as molts and rehousings. I don't note every feeding, only when they began to fast before molting and the date on which I resumed feeding. For each event, I note the size it was at the time and any other notes/comments I wanted to make.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
My fiancee insisted I make a wishlist to help curb my acquisitions a bit. so wish lists might be another page to add to this grand spreadsheet.

I have a spreadsheet that I keep myself. A little simpler than your's, just a page for each spider, where I keep track of feedings (date, did it actually eat? yes, no, or "yes?", how many, and what type of feeder), molts (date, time since last molt, molt size), basic bio info (species name, common name, date acquired, source, gender, DLS), and an area for notes (date and note, for example "Starting to build a bit of a tunnel web on the back of the cork bark").

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I thought the Tarantula App was detailed, but EulersK has to go and blow that out of the water with his spreadsheet.

Stop being such a show off with your mad Excel skillz :rolleyes:
:rofl:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I thought the Tarantula App was detailed, but EulersK has to go and blow that out of the water with his spreadsheet.

Stop being such a show off with your mad Excel skillz :rolleyes:
:rofl:
Well I can't even begin to code for PC, let alone Android or iOS. And really, my main gripe was how difficult it was to transfer data. It has a "backup" feature that, last I checked about a year ago, was a pain and a half to use. It also didn't work on PC, and the data can't be moved cross-platform. It's a great app, don't get me wrong, but I personally wanted to use it cross-platform. Since all of my data is on Google Drive, it can be accessed from any device anywhere on the planet. I just added these features, because, why not?