Making a hide out of a hollowed out trunk

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I’ve never seen those, but really it does? That’s pretty funny!!
I'm not kidding, it really looks awesome.
For others wanting to try this, I would recommend a hard wood, and abs not cedar.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not kidding, it really looks awesome.
For others wanting to try this, I would recommend a hard wood, and abs not cedar.
Thanks man!! And yeah to the others dont use cedar, thats name means way too many things, but the Juniperus cedars, I dont think the same applies to the true cedars

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Of course happy to share its come full circle as the hide is being used!
I'm a helicopter T parent, so I prefer the half rounds, but that thing looks sweet and you did a good job cleaning it up and it's very natural.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I'm a helicopter T parent, so I prefer the half rounds, but that thing looks sweet and you did a good job cleaning it up and it's very natural.
Yeah I normally prefer half rounds too, this is the first log type that I’ve actually used, couldn’t pass it up!

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Yeah I normally prefer half rounds too, this is the first log type that I’ve actually used, couldn’t pass it up!
I've had bad luck with moisture species, using logs/wood that isn't cork. No mold issues?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I've had bad luck with moisture species, using logs/wood that isn't cork. No mold issues?
It did actually mold some in the beginning. I cycled the enclosure and plants and hide in it for 3 full months before putting the Psalmopoeus cambridgei in it. And eventually the mold dissipated slowly over time. Now it’s pretty good!! When I do enclosure’s with plants I find it really helps to cycle for as long as possible before adding anything in.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
@Smotzer I have a 1" freebie P. cam right now. I got it at 1/2" when it got to 1" I put it in a 32oz 3 days ago and it immediately within the day made a dirt curtain. Hoping I'll see it more than my almost non-existent sub male irminia 😂

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Smotzer I have a 1" freebie P. cam right now. I got it at 1/2" when it got to 1" I put it in a 32oz 3 days ago and it immediately within the day made a dirt curtain. Hoping I'll see it more than my almost non-existent sub male irminia 😂
When my Psalmopoeus cambridgei got to about 2in I pretty much saw it out all the time! They grow very quickly so it won’t be too long before it’s that size

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Question a couple years later... I saw you had it in a bio enclosure. How do you keep the mold in check?

Thanks!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Question a couple years later... I saw you had it in a bio enclosure. How do you keep the mold in check?

Thanks!
Well I set it up in the tank and planted it and then let it cycle for a couple months. It molded very slightly but then went away after awhile. Planted tanks should always be allowed to cycle before adding anything in and that usually solves it. I use a lot of wood from outside and very rarely have any mold issues because I do not sanitize anything at all

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Do you still have a spider in it? I would like to see the enclosure it’s in plus the T. That’s really creative

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Frogdaddy @tarantulas118

This was the tank the hollowed out log got put in for a Psalmopoeus cambridgei but that which yesterday molted and is for sure male, not sure if its pen-ultimate or ultimate yet I haven't seen it in the light out and about yet but it was about 4.5in. So the tank may sit for a bit if I send it out to someone to breed soon or not and might have to put something else in its place.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince

This was the tank the hollowed out log got put in for a Psalmopoeus cambridgei but that which yesterday molted and is for sure male, not sure if its pen-ultimate or ultimate yet I haven't seen it in the light out and about yet but it was about 4.5in. So the tank may sit for a bit if I send it out to someone to breed soon or not and might have to put something else in its place.
Nice background! That Tillandsia is gonna bloom for you too. Really nice job!

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight

It’s….it’s beautifu! Gosh dang I wish I could build something like that, that is very amazing

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Nice background! That Tillandsia is gonna bloom for you too. Really nice job!
Thanks its an expanding foam, silicone, and peat background! Some people don't like doing all that but I enjoy it!! And yeah it bloomed T. medusae is the species !
It’s….it’s beautifu! Gosh dang I wish I could build something like that, that is very amazing
Thannksssss!! Its not really all that hard it just takes a bit of planning! Anyone can do it!
Looks awesome!
Thanks man!! I have the itch to start building more vivs.....😅