Magnacarina- A new genus of tarantula from Mexico

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Mendoza, Jorge I., et al. "A new genus of Theraphosid spider from Mexico, with a particular palpal bulb structure (Araneae, Theraphosidae, Theraphosinae)." European Journal of Taxonomy 232 (2016).

Abstract

Magnacarina gen. nov. from Mexico is described. Hapalopus aldanus West, 2000 from Nayarit, is transferred to the new genus with an emended diagnosis creating the new combination Magnacarina aldana comb. nov. Three new species are described: Magnacarina moderataLocht, Mendoza & Medina sp. nov. from Nayarit and Sinaloa; Magnacarina primaverensis Mendoza & Locht sp. nov. and Magnacarina cancerMendoza & Locht sp. nov., both from Jalisco. Magnacarina gen. nov. is characterized by an unusual bifid palpal bulb, and has a primary projection located in the central area of the palpal bulb and directed retrolaterally; this projection possesses the prolateral superior and retrolateral keels. Next to the primary projection is a secondary projection, which may be short or long, ending in the prolateral inferior and apical keel surrounding the sperm pore. This secondary projection may have prolateral accessory keels and is diagnosed by possessing a nodule of inwardly curled megaspines, located in the basal ventro-retrolateral region of metatarsi I in adult males. Additionally, male tibiae I possess three apophyses. Females of Magnacarina gen. nov. have a single reduced and strongly sclerotized spermatheca, with an apical lobe projecting ventrally, and with a uterus externus that is longer and wider than the spermatheca.

http://www.europeanjournaloftaxonomy.eu/index.php/ejt/article/view/356

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh wow, Magnacarina primaverensis is lovely.

This article says species is Magacarina aladana is sympatric with Aphonopelma nayaritum. Does that mean the entire genus is an offshoot of Aphonopelma?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Oh wow, Magnacarina primaverensis is lovely.

This article says species is Magacarina aladana is sympatric with Aphonopelma nayaritum. Does that mean the entire genus is an offshoot of Aphonopelma?
No, the authors state that it is possible that the new genus is likely to be closely related to Bonnetina (page 6). Sympatric means that two species are found in the same area.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, the authors state that it is possible that the new genus is likely to be closely related to Bonnetina (page 6). Sympatric means that two species are found in the same area.
Oh whoops, I had it mixed up with sympatric speciation :embarrassed:

Cherette Cameron

Arachnopeon
Anyone kept one in before? I know this is an old post but I'm getting a sling and wanted to see if anyone has any more information.