Made a boo boo

ErikElvis

Newb
Was doing my weekly feed and when I went for the a. Geniculata he was hanging out in the open. Dropped a roach in there and he demolished it. Little did I know when I moved the moss around I found a molt. Had to have happened within the last 2 or 3 days. The increase in size didn’t really register as he didn’t appear any bigger. Hope his fangs are ok. Guess can only wait and see.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hopefully all is okay! How big of a tarantula? Sling? Juv? Adult?

ErikElvis

Newb
First time feeding the P Metallica. Dropped a red runner in there and it disappeared into the cork bark. Didn’t take him long to get ahold of him though. Quite the little hunter.

Tigger

Arachnopeon
How often do tarantulas break their fangs on prey after molt? I fed all my t's a few days ago and went back 24 hours later to remove any that hadn't been eaten. One of my A. Avic slings had molted and was sitting right next to the half a mealworm I had dropped in the day before. It hadn't touched it. But the second I put a couple of drops of water next to it it started drinking. Maybe they know to wait but very occassionaly misjudge?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
How often do tarantulas break their fangs on prey after molt? I fed all my t's a few days ago and went back 24 hours later to remove any that hadn't been eaten. One of my A. Avic slings had molted and was sitting right next to the half a mealworm I had dropped in the day before. It hadn't touched it. But the second I put a couple of drops of water next to it it started drinking. Maybe they know to wait but very occassionaly misjudge?
It could have to do with how threatened the tarantula feels. I have always placed my feeders away from my tarantulas and let them go eat when they are ready. But if you have one in a burrow and a feeder drops down and flops about right next to a molted tarantula it is more likely to freak out and injure its fangs. Likewise, if an owner drops a feeder right on top of a molted tarantula then they are more likely to bite it as well. Otherwise I think the tarantula will ignore the food till it is ready to eat.

ErikElvis

Newb
He’s acting weird and sluggish now. I think something could have been damaged. Hope he pulls through.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
He’s acting weird and sluggish now. I think something could have been damaged. Hope he pulls through.
for a sling you should be able to by now see that they are black and if they were damaged in anyway

ErikElvis

Newb
for a sling you should be able to by now see that they are black and if they were damaged in anyway
I tried to prod him up the side of the cage a little so I could see what was going on but he just wasn’t having it. Just tucked into a stress curl and didn’t move.

Hi
just leave it be.You will know on next feeding in few days.
Sometimes tarantulas damage fang (fangs)and do well.Its not a certain death sentence if they do.
Regards Konstantin