madagascar hissing cockroach mites

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
checked on my colony tonight and saw several mites on one of them. i know that there is a beneficial mite that helps keep them clean but i just want to make sure i dont have a problem before it gets out of hand.

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Nope, those look like the mites on my G. oblongata colony. I have never seen them bother the roaches, so it's probably fine ;) If you wanted, you may be able to literally brush them off each roach if they get too out of hand, but if you have a big colony it's nearly impossible to get rid of them. Lots of varying opinions about whether or not to keep them.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Nope, those look like the mites on my G. oblongata colony. I have never seen them bother the roaches, so it's probably fine ;) If you wanted, you may be able to literally brush them off each roach if they get too out of hand, but if you have a big colony it's nearly impossible to get rid of them. Lots of varying opinions about whether or not to keep them.
im not worried about the roaches, i know the mites are beneficial to them, i just dont want them to end up with my scorpions lol

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Ohhhh, not sure if they spread like that. Believe they can only live on the roaches, but even if they spread to the scorps I don't believe they are parasitic. Just use the roaches to travel to their food/hide.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
oh ok thank you! btw how much bigger do the oblongata get kver the usual hisser. ive been looking in to starting a colony

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
Yup most mites, and lice are generally species specific for invertebrates at least (and most likely different bug families ) and won't even consider another option unless there's an infestation. It's why you can have chickens and goats and things all living in a barn together but only one type of animal may get lice or mites (because they prey on specific animals) so they shouldn't be any issue to your other insects under normal circumstances :)