Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Care?

Wahoooooo

Arachnopeon
I am planning on getting a Madagascar hissing cockroach and i think i have a list of everything i need
A container obviously not sure what size though
Substrate coconut fiber
water crystals
fruits
a mister
i think thats all i would need to take care of it is there anything else i would need im only planning on getting one

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Don't get the water crystals. They are an Eden for bacteria. Just use a water dish with say pebbles in it to prevent drowning, or mist. For one roach a small sterlite bin, with a section cut out for ventilation, would suffice. Make sure to wash the fruits clean of pesticides or get organic fruits. Also, why only one?

Wahoooooo

Arachnopeon
Don't get the water crystals. They are an Eden for bacteria. Just use a water dish with say pebbles in it to prevent drowning, or mist. For one roach a small sterlite bin, with a section cut out for ventilation, would suffice. Make sure to wash the fruits clean of pesticides or get organic fruits. Also, why only one?
Im not sure it just seems like a better option I might try getting two but I don't want to get unsexed ones and accidentally get a male and a female because I don't want to have baby roaches Also thanks for the info about water crystals!

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Fair enough, but roaches don't really require much care, and the more the merrier! Also, you are welcome.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I am planning on getting a Madagascar hissing cockroach and i think i have a list of everything i need
A container obviously not sure what size though
Substrate coconut fiber
water crystals
fruits
a mister
i think thats all i would need to take care of it is there anything else i would need im only planning on getting one
I keep non-breeding hissers (so either on their own or in same-sex groups). It's not the popular choice, but there's nothing wrong with it. Your cockroach will be fine alone and it's not like the hobby is short of hissers.

I don't mist mine, except when they're very small (I've bought mine ranging from very young nymphs up to almost adults). The evaporation from the water bowl is enough humidity. Adding more just encourages mites in my experience.

I use the little stepped bowls you get for reptiles, so they can climb in and out if they want. I've never used pebbles, but there's no harm in doing so (and you should if the bowl isn't one designed to let the animal climb out). Tiny nymphs might drown, but older nymphs and adults are careful around water.

I used substrate when I started out, but I found they didn't like it much. Older cockroaches especially found it hard to walk on, so I ended up having to remove it when they aged. It's one of those things where there are pros and cons, so do what you'd prefer.

Cardboard egg boxes are great for them. I use the six-egg size for single cockroaches. It gives them a bunch of different places to hide in one piece of cardboard.

They'll eat most fruits and vegetables (though all of mine have hated cucumber). But do make sure to give them a protein source too. I use fish food for protein, but people also use things like cat biscuits.

Hissers can squash their body very flat, so they can get through narrow slits. They can easily climb plastic and glass. Keep that in mind when it comes to container choice. I've made some mistakes with that over the years.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
They are very friendly. You can hold them without issue! In my experience they are very hardy animal. they don't need much to survive. Just give them stuff to hide in or climb on. Egg cartons are enough of a hide, but bark and logs and maybe some fake plants for a more natural terrarium. (nothing pointy or jagged)